Chickamauga blue catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by jbr1126, May 5, 2006.

1. jbr1126

jbr1126 New Member

State:
    tenneessee
    we went out on the 3rd and landed around 65 pounds of blues drifing a hump that went from 18 to 58ft. had 5 over 10 pounds and a few 3-5 pounders.all on magic bait crawfish and chicken blood. on the 4th we went back to the same place and landed about the same around 70 pounds of blues.had some good pictures to post but my wife let the camera fall in the river.its like we cant catch a cat over 12 or 13 pounds do cats larger then 10 or 12 eat night crawlers and stink baits ?if not what do i need to do to get a big one in the boat? thanks in advance!!!

2. Knoxcats

Knoxcats New Member

State:
    Knoxville, TN
    Size of the bait NORMALLY will dictate the size of the fish you will catch. Sure, there's will always be the an occasional large cat on a nightcrawler, but if you want bigger cats, you'll need bigger bait.

Try 3" to 5" shad minnows, or larger pieces of cut skipjack. I've also had good luck on shiners if you can find them. $5.00/dozen isn't much fun, but they will increase the size of your catch. Bluegill, either cut or whole, work well also.

The numbers of fish will probably go down, but it's a lot of fun to hang into a large 20lb + fish.

3. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    jbr1126... I've seen this post elsewhere? Or two folks have caught 65 lbs. of cats and lost a camera. :big_smile:

4. jbr1126

jbr1126 New Member

State:
    tenneessee
    rsims i did post this on cff with a different user name. you of all people can tell me what im doing wrong.what do i need to do to catch a bigger cat?

5. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't think you're doing anything wrong. You're catching fish. And the water you describe sounds perfect for big blues. But to target the big fish... the old adage "big bait - big fish" is often quite true. I had a buddy who caught a 55 lber. on a chicken liver one time, but that's rare. Fish whole bluegill or whole skipjacks. You will definitely cut down on your number of bites. In fact it can get downright boring.... but your odds of getting that trophy cat go way up. I butterfly both... run filet knife through body behind gills and filet backwards to tail. Repeat on both dies and then cut through and remove the spine & tail. You end up with full size bluegill or skipjack, but filets are attached at head basically like a butterfly. Good smell, good action on bait and fish don't have to deal with spiny dorsal fin (on bluegill). Sounds to me like you just need to keep doing what you're doing, just "size up" up your baits and be pateint.

6. jbr1126

jbr1126 New Member

State:
    tenneessee
    thanks rsimms,good info. will try that next time we go out .

7. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    hey jbr1126, See the pic on my profile. It's a 31.5# blue caught on a medium shrimp in Nickajack Lake. Big baits do catch bigger fish as a rule but we catch some real nice fish on regular size baits quite often.

whatever it takes,
    cheez

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The one in my avatar was caught at Chickamauga below the dam on tread fin shad wit Richard on the 7th of may and we caught several that day.

I have some pix of a few of them. I am going to try out nickajack before long .I heard there was some good cats in there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v172/coofficer/Picture022.jpg

9. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Hey Bubbacat,
    If you were fishing below Chickamauga dam you were already in Nickajack Lake.