Chickahominy River

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by spcmitchell28, Apr 14, 2008.

1. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    Does anyone here fish the Chickahominy River. If so have you had any luck?

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Haven't heard anything on the Chick in a while. You can catch herring up at Walker's Dam I think.

The cat bite is strong on the upper James and so to are the shad.

3. spcmitchell28

spcmitchell28 New Member

State:
    Polo, Missouri
    What tackle do you use to catch herring?

4. Reel Tight

Reel Tight New Member

State:
    Va
    The herring are loaded at walkers right now. A sabiki rig was what we used, red seemed to be the color of choice for beads with gold hooks. You can simply use small gold hooks (4-5 tied up the line as not to tangle) with a 1-2 oz weight and small spinning combo or cane pole. Right between 13-15 on the dam is by far my best spot I think there is simething up with the dam there because it bubbles up air like no where else does along the dam.
    Brandon

5. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Do a search for chickahominy on this site, there you should find the info that you need.

Wheelmobile07

6. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Sabiki Rigs are the most common

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ive never fished there but i have fished the grand river in radford before done good

8. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    I fished the Chick last year and did pretty well I am planning a trip the first week of May a week from thur. I will be back down, hope to get some cats.
    I am from upstate NY and fish mostly Lake Champlain for cats. 20 lbs. is big up here so when we got a couple of 25-30 lbs. from the Chick I thought it was great. Maybee I can break 30 lbs. this year.

9. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've never fished with a rig with so many hooks till this past weekend. Herring 2,3,4 at at time on one rig. Be carefull not to just grab at the fish, for sure you will catch one of those little freakin hooks in your hand. "only took 2-3-4- times for my lame ass to figure this out" Note the herring will not be running very much longer.
    good luck

10. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Captain cat - are you coming down specifically to catfish?

The fish may very well be in spawn by then, which would make for a poor trip for you.