Chickahominy River - Take a kid fishing day

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by gottafish, Jan 22, 2006.

1. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    My brother in law is currently deployed aboard the USS Cape St. George to the Persian Gulf. His son - Sean - a handful to begin with had just about enough of living with mom and 2 sisters, so I arranged to take him out for some cats today to do some "male bonding" I figure it's a chance to convert him into a catfish enthusiast while dad's away. This was also to be a Chick river scouting trip as well so I didn't have any real high expectations other than catching a few small fish for Sean. I did plan to put big baits out for myself though.

We launched out of the Morris Creek wildlife ramp and the first order of business what to see if I could find some bait. I had plenty of bait leftover from fishing saturday so I just planned to see what was available. After launching I checked the depth finder while motoring away from the ramp and marked what appeared to be bait so I put the gill net out, waited about 1 minute and then checked the net. I could feel on the float line so in it came. Just one shad, but no problem, I didn't want many anyway. It was just good to know it was there - so we headed down river. A couple of bends downriver, I slowed to check a hole and, wow, was bait stacked up in there. I mean loaded! So we set baits. One small one for Sean and 3 big baits on my rods. After boating a couple pounders, one of the big rods went down. When I set up on the fish, I figured Sean could probably handle it so I handed him the rod. It was tough but he made it. The only help from me was keeping the rod from rolling over because Sean was not quie strong enough with the conventional reel. A 16 pound blue!! Sean was jumping up and down and screaming like a wildcat. The grin was awesome.

We moved out into the main river and set up on a hole in the main channel. We couldn't keep them off the baits - fish in the teens and up to 20. Anything I though Sean could handle, he got the rod. Probably 8 or 10 fish in all. Absolutely awesome! Then I found myself tied into a Hawg! Totally unexpected though I don't know why since the chick is a tributary of the James. 52 pounds!! Wow - as if the day wasn't fantastic already!! Attached are some pics. I've got a video I shot of him with his 16 pounder but need to figure a way to reduce the size (it's 19 megabytes). When I do I'll post it.

/Scott

Attached Files:

2. Vacatfisher

Vacatfisher New Member

sounds like you had an excellent day on the water

3. gweber

gweber New Member

Man, Scott, you are having a string of great days. Your posts get me pumped to go out and keep giving it a shot to get a big one...or two. How old is Sean? I've been thinking about taking my 7 year old as well, and the Chick seems like a bit less river than the James with all the barge and shipping traffic.

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Sean is 5. You cold probably spend the entire day in Morris creek if you launched at the WMA ramp. There are a bunch of decent 20 plus foot holes and good bottom structure, not to mention plenty of bait. Send me a Pm when you get ready to go and I'll give you a few more areas to check.
    /Scott

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    :) Way to go and the boy will remember that day forever. I work in South America 4 or 5 months a year and my brothers take my 11 years old son when I'm away. He loves his uncles. I live in Richmond and have been meaning to try the Chick for years. I am definitely in a rut just fishing around Deep Bottom and down stream towards Hopewell. Same tired old holes. Its time to spread my horizon.

Many thanks for your posts. You and Tank keep us well informed as to what's going on here in VA. Now, if I could stow away on Striper Joe's new Pontoon boat, I will be a happy camper.

6. FISH PIMP

FISH PIMP New Member

State:
    Cross Junction, VA
    Scott,

Thats great taking the time to bring Sean out. We all should take the time to introduce the young ones to the great sport of fishing. Man a 62 and a 52 in the same weekend!! Way to go.

Pete

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    gottafish sounds like you just got a new fishing partner. that little fellow will be watching your boat all the time now. way to go!!!! everybody needs to plant them seeds in fishing.he will remember that the rest of his life.

8. Malligood24

Malligood24 New Member

State:
    Richmond, Va
    Yeah Scott- I think you got him hooked! - his daddy will come back and Sean will be begging him to take him catfishing instead of bass fishing now!

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Had someone taken me out when i was 5 and we caught fish like that, i'd have been hooked into catfish sooner then i was (though i was hooked in fishing at 3)...

You know whats funny? he can say he caught the bigger fish then you, just based on size relative to the person... even if his was 1/3 the size of yours :)

You did a great thing w/ him, wish more people would all over the country

I only wish that the fishery where i teach a fishing camp in the summer was that good. if they listen to me and have a little patience, they will catch maybe a bass or large sunnie... Never have really started them on catfishing, should do that this year... if it were down on the potomac or something, then i'd definitely be showing them more to do with catfishing.

10. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Hey fellas, I finally figured out how to downsize this video I shot of nephew. Knocked it down from 9 megabytes to 981kbytes. Big difference. I just emailed the clip to his dad. Hope he's got some tissues handy..lol

Just click on the button an save this to your computer to play it

Here's the link.

Scott

11. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    man that super. i believe he could of handle the bigger fish too.

12. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    :) That was fantastic. If there ever was a Kodak Moment, I believe I just saw it. Way to go young man!

13. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    That was cool, thanks for sharing.:)

14. Catmandu

Catmandu New Member

State:
    Virginia
    the chick is one of the best for numbers with a lot of med. size fish for the novice or expert that video was great !!! bet he'll always want to go now good luck tight lines wish i could be out there too later yall

15. kayakgeek

kayakgeek New Member

State:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Scott,

That is absolutely priceless. It will make any man with a son smile.

Geek

16. basstardo

basstardo New Member

State:
    Williamsburg, VA
    Good fish! Don't underestimate the Chick. I've pulled some hawgs out of there. Two last year were 71 and 63, plus numerous 30-40. Both were caught in the same hole. Wait until around mid-April and the place goes nuts. I fish at night only and if you find the active ones it's a handful. There are two deep holes in there, one about 78 feet deep and the other about 63, and they generally are loaded up this time of year. If you have charts, you'll find them.;)

17. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Oh yea! I'm on 'em. I'm just waiting for the weather to put the fish back into those holes. The fish I've been getting are VERY close to at least one of those locations.

/Scott

18. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey gottafish teach me something here. you say your waiting on the weather to put them fish back in them holes. seems like my holes are hit and miss right now. are you referring to a shad kill?

19. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    With the warm weather we've been having, we've been finding fish on mid depth flats and structure. 15 - 30 feet or so. I haven't caught any fish in deeper water and the couple of guys that I keep in touch with have experienced the same thing. Of course, the shad were also found in shallower water during this time as well. This cooldown we're in right now, hopefully, will put the bait back down into the deeper holes and the big blues will follow. I theorize that the fish would prefer to be there picking off weak and dying shad instead of cruising flats for those healthier ones. It's more energy efficient for them.

Case in point - I had found shad in Morris creek on shallow flats during the height of the warm spell. I also found the catfish shallow. When I went out last weekend, there were no shad in Morris creek but I found them on a flat in the main river adjacent to a deep hole indicating that they may have moved to deeper holes. I did still find fish on the mid-depth flats and didn't fish any deep holes. The very next day, Tank reported that they got no bites in shallower water. The fish they picked up were in 35 foot plus holes (if I remember correctly) Again, this is a theory for me. I still don't have enough "winter fishing" experience to make any conclusions based on just a couple of days of fishing.

I hope this makes sense.

/Scott

20. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    THANK YOU!!!! gottafish thats great information. this is my first year of winter fishing also.