Chickahominy River area shad

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by justlearning, Dec 5, 2007.

1. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    I'm thinking of putting in near the mouth of Chickahominy River on my next trip 12/21 any suggestions on finding shad?? Or as far as that goes suggestions on finding the blues??

Thanks....Jerry

2. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Hey Jerry,
    I have not tried to get shad down that far...
    But be careful of the wind,the river is big down there and if the wind blows it is very rough:0a20:
    We went up river about a 20 min. ride and the wind got up and it took 45 min to get back to the RT 5 bridge.Didn't know if I was getting back then:big_smile:

mikeb

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Be careful out there. Anyone who fishes the James or Rappahannock or any big body of water anywhere has horror stories to tell about the wind and small boats.

One of these days I hope to have a Lund Alaskan 20 footer but until then, I run like a scared rabbit when they forecast any wind over 10 mph. I have a 16 foot Lowe Roughneck that doesn't do worth a hoot in the James where its wide and the wind kicks up whitecaps.

That said, Good luck on your fishing trip. The cats are snapping like crazy now.

4. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Kenneth.....were you at Deep Bottom last Friday (30th). I was talking to guy that looked a lot like you... after getting off the James...just wondering???

Jerry

5. Rickjr

Rickjr New Member

State:
    VA
    Be careful of mud flats on the chic....during the summer there are lilly pads and you can see it's shallow,but when there gone its kinda hard to tell...I use stiffback perch,bluegill what ever i can catch in the creeks.I haven't had a lot of luck catching shad... or buy bloodworms , softshell crabs in the summer..The last time we were down there they were replacing the Rt 5 bridge.....Great place to catch the Stripers too:big_smile:

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I didn't recognize you. Yes that was me. I love to fish the fall and spring. Summertime night fishing and bugs aren't for me. I haven't fished much in the cold cold of winter but will try some this year. Big fish in my avatar was a early March 2007 fish. Nice meeting you. Good luck

7. caveman

caveman New Member

State:
    va
    live and fresh cut eels have been working for me on the chick...

vaughn

8. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm really not sure about the Chick so they might not go for the shad...I don't know. I'm just learning that the catfish below the city dock area in Richmond are different than above. Below are all blue catfish that I've caught so far and above I've caught channels and flatheads. Maybe that has to do with the tidal influence. Also bait choice plays a role. I think the blues do go for the shad, according to all the folks at the piers I fish at they have the shad and the eel. I just know if you want to catch some small blues 18" or less the Wilcox wharf is the place to go. All you need is some small hooks and night crawlers. I think a family would have fun there just pulling the little ones in left and right.
    good luck on the Chick..
    david

9. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Nice meeting you also Kenneth....I had planned to send you a message....but what the heck......sometimes things just work out....lol

Tight Lines......
    Jerry