Chickahominy Help?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jlcclh, May 18, 2006.

1. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am planing a trip to the chick on memorial day weekend. This will be my first trip and I am clueless of where to go. I will be fishing for Blues mostly but if they dont seem to bite I will try Flat heads next. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. By the way,if it makes a difference I do practice cpr.

2. Jarosh

Jarosh New Member

State:
    Culpeper, Virginia
    I don't know much about fishing the lake portion of the chick, but the river has some super blues. Best option would be to pick up a map and hit the channel edges. I've been having luck with this on the James.

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Jamie,
    Paul steered you right. A good map book is the Virginia Gazetterr. you can get it at Wally-World for about $20.00 and it is a real easy way to find a lot of good spots. It has every road, dirt road, and jeep track in the state in it. Also camp grounds, boat ramps, and such in it. There are also detailed charts available if you are boating. Contact any marina and they can set you up.

4. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the info. Am I going to need to anchor up or can I drift fish? Also what is the perfered bait for some big blues. Would gizzard shad be my best bet? Should I focus on fishing the drop offs to the main channel or the flats? I will buy a map. Are there any hazardous spots that I should be really cautious about? I will probably fish the James mostly, I think we are staying at Rivers Rest camp ground,does that ring a bell? If so how is the fishing near there? Should I go up, or down from there? Thanks for all the help. If anyone ever travels to Kerr Lake I will be glad to throw in my 2 cents worth and help all I can. Remember I am just fishing for fun,all (if any) the big ones will be released to fight another day. Trying to beat my pb of 54lbs. Thanks

5. flemflamman

flemflamman New Member

State:
    va
    The tackle shops down there are pretty helpful but if you hit most of the bends bween the lake and the James you will find some fish. Are you familiar with how to fish eel? Best of luck and let us know how you did.