Chickahominy and James Rivers

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Captain Cat, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    I will be fishing the rivers for the first time this spring and was wondering when the catfish spawn on the two rivers ,do the different types spawn a the same time?

2. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    you realy don't have any population in the lower river (below richmond)of any cayfish but the blue cat. Occasionaly you will pick up a flathead or a small channel,but they are pretty rare. I have only caught 3 in two years.here's a photo of the biggest( 31 lbs )fish support by Jacob

Attached Files:

3. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    Fish supported by Jacob (Critter 68) also caught by Jacob (from Redcat's boat)! Biggest one I have seen below the Pony Pasture.

4. reddcat

reddcat New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I knew the right bait would bring out the biggest rat (hehehe)

5. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    That's why they call me "Critter"! :cool2:

6. dwordenfish

dwordenfish New Member

State:
    massachusetts
    That's a nice flathead! I caught my first one from the james last week. It was small but it still counts.

I read an article in the north american fisherman about fishing the James and they suggested fishing in shallow water in March. Is this why I didn't get many big ones last week or was last week just a bad week?

7. Captain Cat

Captain Cat Member

State:
    New York
    Does anybody have any advice for fishing in May on the James or the Chick. I am going there the first week of may for the first time and would love to get some fish. Thanks

8. Hogdogtod

Hogdogtod New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Captain Cat nice catch man!

9. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Nice flattie there bro, I think he was right in the previous post, mostly blues below richmond. I know for a fact that there are some pretty big flatties just as big as the one in the pic on the upper James.

Wheelmobile07