chick river catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Jamesriver, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Jamesriver

Jamesriver New Member

State:
    Richmond
    Does anybody fish it? How is it? Where is good access? I am thinking of fishing the upper parts for channel cats in north Richmond.

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    You might have a hard time finding channel catfish in the tidal James or its tributaries. I've caught a few, but they are rare. You can probably drop a line anywhere and catch smaller blues though. Try any of the ramps on the James like Dutch Gap or Deep Bottom, and you can get into some fish. Good luck.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I crossed it on 295 yesterday leaving the airport and heading to Green Top Sporting Goods.
    I used to know an electrician who grew up in Hanover and said the river up there was lousey with bass, bowfins, brim, cats, and even silvers. No clue where to fish for them up there but it sure looks good.

4. Jamesriver

Jamesriver New Member

State:
    Richmond
    What are "silvers".

5. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Silvers are called Crappie by folks that don't know any better:laugh1:

6. Jamesriver

Jamesriver New Member

State:
    Richmond
    Pomoxis(crappie) is a genus of freshwater fish in the sunfish family (family Centrarchidae) of order Perciformes.

7. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I think he was kidding man, learn how to take a joke LOL! Wonder if ya knew that or looked it up ;p

8. catdadd

catdadd New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I fished the Chick to Richmond several times! I like to fish just below the bridge at RT.5. I've caught up to 75# on eel. The best ramp is the Chickahominy Campground, $8.00, good deep water and lighted.

9. Jamesriver

Jamesriver New Member

State:
    Richmond
    No, I stole it from Wikipedia.

10. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

Bluebruiser@Jmestwn New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Ive fished the chickihominy river for 8+ years ive caught and seen hundreds of citation cats the biggest ive seen or heard of is 65lbs or so thats close to 75 but ive seen personnally 1 65 lbr in 8 years.. my pb on the chick maxed out a 50 lb scale last march..guessing 60 lbs or so..my boy weighed in on a certified scale at wilcox bait n tackle a 65 lbr...so it is possible.....McDonalds serves a billion hamburgers a day so anythings possible.if youve spent any time on that dock at chick riverfront on RT5 you know who i am....Ronnie...there is a tight local bunch out there and i am one...:time-out:

11. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

State:
    Virginia
    Im just giving you hard time...sorry there are some monsters in that area of the river.Welcome to the brotherhood CATDADD!:laugh1:

12. catdadd

catdadd New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Not a big deal! I have there since 2001, Silver Yukon with a blue and white Marada, very loud straight exhaust. Usually only fish there for a while and head to Claremont. There is a small chanel beside the green marker, follow that up past the hose to the next bend. That is where the big fish are. Just don't tell anyone!

13. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

State:
    Virginia
    [Catdadd] Probrally seen you before,i use to fish there,then moved to other areas of chick and james.Now i use the dock at 5 to catch bait but that Nor easter that came ravaged that dock. Really sucks cause james city county will take forever to repair it or rebuild..Again welcome to the BOC.

14. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

State:
    Virginia
    CATDADD>>You fishing this snowy weekend?

15. catdadd

catdadd New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I really want to, but Stuarts Draft is over the hill, Afton, and mama won't let me out to play. I see where they are calling for 45 degrees on wed. Probably then, I have two juys that are dying to go!

16. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

State:
    Virginia
    May be a bomb but maybe not..Definite on going to sturgeon point snow or not.shore fishin on private dock i gained access to .me and a buddy .will post unless its a bust.just came over Afton the other day comming back from snowshoe..pretty land outthere..Im in the coastal plain lot of flat salt water influence..big difference to me.best of luck on the wednesday plans..

17. Bluebruiser@Jmestwn

State:
    Virginia
    Big no go on fishin saturday..too much snow couldnt get down secondaries on rt5 Charles city..

18. bigcathunter77

bigcathunter77 New Member

State:
    vA
    Great spring time area had alot of citations in the boat from there cats gar and Boston. We normally put at riverside or rockahock. Hope this helps

19. bigcathunter77

bigcathunter77 New Member

State:
    vA
    Sorry Bow. Fin not boston