Chevy Silverado

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by splitshot, Mar 19, 2008.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Does anyone own a newer Chevy silverado? Im interested in buying one to pull a travel trailer and would appreciate any input. Thanks, Steve

2. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    my b in law has one for a company truck & pulls a heavy flatbed to haul rig tanks with, and it seems to do pretty good. Nice interior also, his has the on star & bluetooth, very nice features to have while doing alot of driving!!!

3. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    I have a '01 ex. cab and I love it. The ride is very smooth. Mine is a two wheel drive 1500. There are lots of options with a Silverado. The four wheel drive have stiffer suspension. Mine pulls my 18' boat with no problem. Guess you need to match the truck to the weight of the trailor and the distance and terrain that you hauling it on.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Steve My former company truck was an 06 dually silverado with the 6.0? liter,anyway the engine was a bigun. But it was a nice ride for a one ton 4x4.and it got around 16 mpg. I never pulled anything real heavy,just a mini excavator ,which weighed 3000lb

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
  6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Someone has to speak up for Fords, and I guess that is me. Before you spend your money on a cheap Chevy, check out the Fords. They are the cream of the crop.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have an 05 silverado that will pull anything you hook it up to, especially a FORD. it still rides nice and the engine acts like there isnt even anything behind it. you dont have to slow done for a mile either before a stop. the brakes are very nice and you will have to confidence knowing that if anything happened (god forbid) and you have to stop quickly, the brakes will not let you down. chevy is the only way to go in my book.

Attached Files:

8. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I have an 06 silverado and I hope to have it when it is antique cause I love it also has the trailor brake option

9. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Here is my 2 cents.Are you planning on reselling this truck later get a GMC they are superior to a Chevy in a million ways.
    #1 check out the factory shocks and mounts the GMC is beefier

My suggestion is this I have no doubt you would be happy with the Silverado but go check out the GMC trucks and do a side by side comparison with a Chevy.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I looked at fords when I bought my Chevy. And I test drove 3 new 04's 3/4 tons and they were all over the road.:confused2::crazy: And does not ride anywhere as good as the Better Chevy does. :big_smile:
    Pete

11. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    Steve, I have a 03 K1500 with a 5.3ltr Vortec V8, that is a 4X4 Silverado, I pull a 24ft Travel Trailer when fully loaded the trailer weighs 5800lb. I use a equalizer hitch system and have no problems at all even using the AC while on the interstate part of the trip. BTW the trip I take is 2.5 hours drive time each way. I set the cruise on 60 and let the world go by.

Just FYI I had previously pulled this Travel Trailer with a Chevy TrailBlazer which has a 4.2 I6 (which is an inline or straight 6 cyl Vortec engine), which on hot days I would have to not use the A/C to keep the engine from over heating. I would get about 9 MPG with the TrailBlazer,, I get about 12 MPG with my K1500.

12. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I agree,Jim . I wouldn't let my 01 powerstroke go ,But Steve did ask about Chevy's :embarassed:

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

Pete Here it has long been said Ford builds a WORK truck an Chevy builds a truck to go to town in.

14. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Our farm Chev 3/4 hd with a 8.1 and Alison trans is sure a work truck. and you can go to town in it .It pulls a 24ft loaded stock trailer in the hills with ease

15. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Fishslayer, I will second that. I have the 05 Siilverado Four wheel drive with the duro-max diesel, and the Allison trannie. My fifth wheel ways 12000 pounds empty. and it takes it right on down the road,

16. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I also have an 04 3/4 HD with the 8.1 and Alison. Great pulling truck. I pull my 5th wheel and boat at the same time. Never even know they are they. The only downside is gas mileage. I get about 9 mpg pulling both and just over 11 not pulling anything. Might want to think about a diesel but as high as diesel fuel is not sure if you would come out ahead any.

17. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    But you have to understand that someone has to agitate. And nothing gets a Chevy owner madder, quicker, than seeing a better truck, like a Ford.:smile2::smile2:

All joking aside I used my nephews 3/4 ton GMC to pick up that lawn tractor I just bought. After about 450 miles in that GMC, my butt was sore. I guess it is used to Ford seats. lol

I think I got about 12 mpg with it's 350, 2 wheel drive, extended cab, 8 ft bed. But it was zipping along between 70 and 80 mph. That old 350 with 148,000 miles on it runs great.

:sad2: My Ford is having brake problems :sad2: It wants to pull one way or the other, like it has calipers sticking or it has deteriorating brake hoses. It gets fixed today. :tounge_out: With brakes dragging, I doubt if it's getting over 10 right now, but it will be back to it's 12-14 mpg real soon.

18. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Steve,

The best things about my chevies is, they are all for sale.

I love my chevies.... unless I have a ford buyer.... Although they are not usually as smart.... but that allows me a larger profit margin.... is this a public forum lol!?!?

What are you looking for?

I have a 96 1 ton single rear axle, I have a 95 1 ton ext cab diesel automatic, and I have a 2002 Suburban LT that carries it all... in style. I can get with relative ease anything from a 99 to a 2008 used.

As a BOC Member AND a previous fishoff partner you would qualify for better than average pricing.

I can also deliver up to 3-400 miles.

Good Luck,

Shawn(OH)

19. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota

I'll have to agree. I love my 02 GMC 2500hd crew cab with duramax and allison. It is turning 110,000 mi and have yet to have a problem with it. I wouldn't trade it for nothing.

20. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey steve,

i bought my 05 silverado with the pansy v-6. it still pulls my 18' boat like a champ. take off aint so hot, but she feels like a caddy at around 75 mph, even pulling the boat.

piece of advice, i learned the hard way. smaller engine doesnt necc. mean better gas mileage. hindsight, i would have gotten the v-8.