Chevy Astro

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by jtrew, Aug 8, 2008.

1. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I have a blown head gasket on my 1992 Chevy Astro, which has fuel injection. I also have a 1985 Chevy Astro clunker that has a good carbureted engine in it. I have two questions. Can the complete 1985 carbureted engine replace the 1992 fuel injected one? Can the heads from the 1985 carbureted engine be put on the 1992 fuel injected engine?

2. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    yes you can change the entire assembly, but you will need to check on the 85 astro to see if it has an electric fuel pump, i dont think it does, if not you may have to swap tanks or at least sending units, also will have to do some rewiring because of the computor stuff on the newer engine, i would just do the head gaskets and if you need heads the ones off the 85 may work, i would call a local machine shop to check but they may be compatable, the injected ones run a lot better and have better economy than the carburated ones, hope this helps, if you need more help you can pm me anytime

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, I'm really hoping that I can just get the heads resurfaced for the '92 and not have to pull anything off the '85. That way, I could sell the '85 for parts with a good running engine.