chest freezer bait tanks

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by truecountry, Jul 1, 2008.

1. truecountry

truecountry New Member

State:
    virginia
    i been using one 20 cu ft chest freezer (pond pump and tube run up to pan with holes and ac filters) .. to keep bream and goldfish in and my soon to be wife added a stainless steel washing machine tub in one side for minnows for crappie fishing ..most have died in couple days .....now since shes a hvac tech and owns a appliance store , we get a 15 cu ft today.. im rethinking of one for cat fish bait and other for minnows ... now im rethinking seing post yall have sent and the comp power supply and 2 bilge pumps for filtering and 2 small aqua pumps to keep water flowing .....what yall think im crazy or what .. but freezers were free thats a plus holds water a plus ,,the comp power supply free,, tubing free, bilge pumps not free maybe 50 bucks...2 small jet pumps 30 bucks.. com guys what u think

2. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    I think you have a good thing going.
    I would T off of your pond pumps, and run part of the water through filter. That way,
    you could, do away, with bilge pumps.
    Jim

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good plan, let us know how it works

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sounds to me like ya gotta talk the bride outa keepin the minnows. LOL! Sounds like a solid plan.:wink:

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd recommend you have your water tested. A lot of water is high in nitrates which is deadly to fish. I have no idea how even one fish lives in OKlahoma. LOL. I can't keep bait fish as my well water is high in nitrates...no aquarium either. sigh

6. truecountry

truecountry New Member

State:
    virginia
    minnows are living great in new tank, had to get a aquamuin pump to move the water around to get them swiming the atx comp 12dc conversing is got me pretty screwed up but ill figure it out