Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Chesapeake Bay catfish controversy

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  twaskom 
#1 ·
I am a Ph.D. student at Virginia Tech and have been conducting multiple experiments with non-native blue catfish over the last three years.
Blue catfish have been the center of much controversy, as they support incredible trophy fisheries and growing commercial fisheries in the Bay, yet have been labeled as a dangerous invasive species by some. We are trying to separate fact from fiction, and find out what negative impacts, if any, they are having on native species in the Chesapeake Bay.
We have extracted diet contents from over 18,000 catfish over the last three years. We will be sharing our findings on the website www.chesapeakecatfish.com and wanted to share this page with anyone who is interested, as we realize many people love the trophy fishery and some rely on it for their livelihood. Our findings will be used to direct future management of this species. Please feel free to share this website with anyone who may be interested.
Thank you,

Fish Fish Fishing Catfish Carp

See less See more
#2 ·
Joey, I took my son and two of his buddies on a guided fishing trip last summer on the Potomac and had a wonderful time. The guide mentioned that the Blue Cat had been identified as an evasive species and there was considerable discussion on what was being done and why. I really liked being able to read your website article and getting a better understanding of the situation and possible future for the Blue Cat in the Chesapeake Bay.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.