Cherry Maters

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by BIG GEORGE, Mar 13, 2008.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    What is good to use for support for cherry tomatos to take off on and keep spreadin? THANX

2. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Me and the guy next store plant ours along the chain link fence between us and pick whatever is on our side :smile2: He plants one variety and I plant a different one, so we "share"

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    George on cherry tomatoes you sometimes need extra tall cages. I use concrete re-inforcement cage wire. It is about 5 or 6 foot tall and works great. Most of the time they still grow taller than the cages and then I use a long canepole cut and put inside the cage to give extra height for the plants. My wife and kids love the chery tomatoes and so do I. We grow the yellow pear and the Napa grape tomatoes as well as the sweet 100's. We also grow several large types of tomatoes too. If your tomatoes out grow your cages you can lay the tops over on the cage next to it and they will grow more like grape vines.... a tangled jungle of vines...but they still produce well all season long.:smile2:

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

I don't like my neighbor that much. LOL!

5. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Chicken wire cone shaped held in place by stakes

6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Hog wire cages... Love the yellow pears . when I was a kid my Grandma called them "Yeller Bells" she was from KY.

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Go to the pole bean vs bush deal, and read about my arches I made for pole beans. I'll bet they would work great for cherry tomatos, as them things will vine 10 feet or better.

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    George, finally you ask a question I can give some advice on, since I am from the land of corn and hogs.

All suggestions have been excellent. Here are some more.

1. Half whiskey barrels with a good growing medium. Plant your little puppies in there and stick any kind of trellis appropriate for the kind of plant above it as it grows.

2. I personally like 16 foot cattle panels, with about three steel posts securing it and plant the little devils along the front of it and keep them tied up as the season progresses.

3. I use woven wire rolled into a circle the size you like and secured with a T-post or wooden stakes to keep the wind from blowing it over.

4. When you are about ready to pick your first basket you will realize the hornworms are in them. Pull them all out then and go to the store and buy some good ones in the produce department.

5. I don't like my neighbor either so I usually steal his. He's a quarter mile away so it is a long walk. I have usually eaten them by the time I get home.

6. My neighbor the other direction grows his in his sweetcorn patch. He usually has the perimeter hotwired directly off a 110 circuit to keep the coons out. With my bad leg I can't step over the fence anymore.