Cheney?

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KsPete, Aug 23, 2009.

1. KsPete

KsPete New Member

State:
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Has anyone been catching anything at Cheney this summer? My wife and I are thinking about a camping trip there next weekend. Even though it's fairly close, we've never gone camping there. Anyone have any recommendations regarding the best campground/fishing spot there? We'll be fishing from the bank. Thanks.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Dale, I have no idea on the fishin. Not a big fan of Cheney. There are some nice channels caught out there every year though.
    If you like the State Park camping you can go that route. I despise them so I try to avoid them.:embarassed::smile2: I think there are some free campsites on the North end of the lake, up by the river.
    Thats where Id go.:wink::smile2:

3. DOUBLEL

DOUBLEL New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY KS
    Always do o.k. where the river runs in. To late to help now try by Freds bait shopin the river

4. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    There are several feeders running at cheney, i would start fishing there
    I don't fish Cheney veryoften, it can get rough and you can find 2 foot of water 1/2 mile fromthe bank. Cheny has some good fish if you can find them, get some stink bait and worms and fish the feeders on the north side rwg

5. KsPete

KsPete New Member

State:
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Thanks for the replies. We may decide to go somewhere else, possibly Kanopolis or Marion. We like Marion... but it seems everyone else does too.

6. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    :cool2: hmmmm cheney can be a tough nut to crack but best bets(not givin up spots :wink::smile2:) would be either the river where u can find holes, wade fishing the bluffs with cut shad or white perch or out in the deep end of the lake by the dam but if the wind is high try the side the winds pushing towards its hard fishin but catch most fish on the wind blown side. or last but nt least the feeders most my fish come wade fishing. havent had much of a fst bite but if ur patient u'll get into an occansional school of wipers or channel and u can limit out. baits i would use is 1. cut shad 2. stink bait 3. half inch white perch. 4. chicken liver worms gettin takin by the white perch before it hits bottom. rigs i'd use big floats on the flats to cover water find the feeding channel or a 3-way rig keep bait off bottom. thats pretty been wat ive been doin and havin good luck. hope this helps

P.S. :embarassed:be very careful wadefishing out there i'd stick to the bluffs wadin but even there u'll occasionally fall off into a hole or off a ledge into deep water. be safe.

7. KsPete

KsPete New Member

State:
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    A belated followup on our trip to Cheney Lake -- the camping was great but the fishing was lousy! I used turkey liver, stinkbait and cut bait (white perch), but barely got a bite.

We went Friday evening and stayed until noon Sunday. The weather was fantastic for camping. We pitched a tent at M&M Point on the east side. The campsites were nice and it was not very crowded. However, the lake in that area is shallow and that might have had an effect on the fishing.

We had a good time anyway, and that's what counts.

8. outdoorsaddict

outdoorsaddict New Member

State:
    Kansas
    glad you had fun on your trip. I was at Cheney Sunday morning and fished for about 4-5 hours. I have to agree that the bite was off. Should have slept in.