cheese for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by monsterstalker, Aug 15, 2009.

1. monsterstalker

monsterstalker New Member

State:
    NC
    Does anyone fish for channel catfish with cheese? I have read it is effective as a bait. If so what was the success rate, and what kind of cheese?

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Any kinda cheese will do.. its always better to use when rotten [ing]. Wrap or embed a half a strip of bacon around it or in it for better scent.:wink:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Warren Welcome to the BOC. Most dip,dough,and punch baits are made with a base ingredient of cheese. Check the members library for many bait receipts. :0a18::0a25::0a25:

4. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I think catfish will eat about anything they can find if they're hungry. :eek:oooh:

5. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    try cheese weenies. they work great around here.

6. Gotbuck

Gotbuck New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use that Cheese and Liver dough bait sold at Wally Word with great success. It comes in a yellow jar and forms well and stays on good with a #4 treble dough bait hook. I have used it at Busch Conservation and Lake of the Ozarks with excellent results. I consider it one of my go to baits for sure.

7. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    unless your fishing a river with a good current i dont think a cheese bait beats cut bait... I could be wrong though im just speaking on my experience trying cheese and stink baits

8. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    just a thought. anybody ever see those little stinkers treble hooks with some rubber you fill with tube bait? what if, you fill it up with easy cheese? anybody think that could work? its got a hole you stick the nozzle of the tube bait in. an easy cheese nozzle would fit great. plus bring some crackers and you got a snack.

9. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I almost always mix in some kind of cheese in my baits. The cats love it.

10. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Not a bad idea.
    Give it a try and let us know how it works.
    They used to sell catfish bait in a tube for filling special bait holders.
    Haven't seen it around for a long time.
    have a good 1
    just

11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I used to use that cheese when I was young. Good ole baits been around for years.

12. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    Those bait tubes with the slit in the side I see them at k-marts but no where else. And far as cheese goes yes it is a great bait for eater size limburger cheese is best stinks like hell but hard to find scraps if you buy it from a store it is very expinsive:wink:

13. monsterstalker

monsterstalker New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the replies. I've caught other types of fish on cheese, and thought it should be good for catfish. I like a quick bait and unless I'm fishing with artificals I often just grab some bread or cheese to fish with, but I've only caught a few catfish so far, I'm wanting to get more into catfishing though.

14. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Welcome to the BOC Warren, thanks for the post, good question.

15. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    if you wanting to get more into it, my suggestion would be chicken livers with garlic salt. you wont be disappointed.