Cheep Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Matthew72, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    :confused: What would you guys say is the smallest and cheapest boat I could get? I weigh 400lbs and my cargo is less than 100lbs. I just want to row or paddle to the middle of the lake. I got a little four cylinder Geo Tracker to pull it with so it would have to be light. I would build my own trailer. Maybe even add a 9.9outboard later. What are yalls thoughts on this subject?

2. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    mathew it would make a big difference in what ways you would use the boat ,you would want a boat that with all the weight in it would be high enough out of the water as not to swamp from rough water or wakes from another boat and you would have to figure the weight of whatever motor you put on it also. If it were me I would look for a extrta wide river jon-boat that doesnt draft much water and be safe and go a little bigger than you think you will need so gear and another person wouldnt be a problem ,probably no less than 14 ft and 16 would be better.hope this helps

3. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Find a "Lowes" dealer in your area and check out the Lowes jon-boats. They are great little boats well built and vary strong. Talk to the dealer and tell them just what you are needing a boat to handle & how your going to set it up,the will be more then glad to help you.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You always find that your wish your boat was 'just a little bit bigger'. While you might sqeeze by at first with a 14' jonboat, you'll soon find it too small, especially if you add that outboard. I'd say go with a 16' with a 48" bottom.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Cheep usually always means just that. Bide your time and get somethin that will be more condusive to your needs. As you stated you are a big guy. My advice would be get a boat adequate to handle your needs or get a real good life jacket.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    What do you consider cheap?
    The weight capacity is going to virtually eliminate the majority of boats I would consider cheaper boats and boats that would be SAFE to use by someone that weighs 400 pounds.
    A capacity tag is only for weight in a hull itself, but if you get too much weight above the shear you got a whole nother set of problems.
    Example: You dont see raised fishing platforms on your basic jon boat atleast owned by sane people and you dont see tuna towers on a 23 foot center console boat designed to go offshore.
    I'm 215 pounds and a jon boat tied to a dock and me trying to get in it are a chancy thing. Beached I have no problem except getting it off the beach :D .

Above all get something big enough to be safe.
    Something big enough that hopefully if you went overboard you could get back in to. You definately want something large enough that you can lean over or stand up against a gunnel and lean out to land a fish.
    Find the correct type boat for your needs first then worry about the price.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Your Geo Tracker should be able to pull a 16 ft flat bottom with no problem. All boats made in the last 20 or more years carry a label that gives the carrying capacity. When looking at that, find out what the boat weighs as that factors into the weight capacity too. Figure that you'll need at least another 100 lbs of capacity above your weight if you fish alone, much more if you fish with another. If looking at used boats, be sure to inspect the trailer closely. If it doesn't have bearing buddies on the hubs, I'd wonder what kind of shape the bearings are in. Actually, I'd wonder that anyway. Its always the bearings that give you the most problems with a trailer, except for 8" tires. Also check out the trailer lights, another problem spot. Remember too that a boat is just a hole you throw your money into. But, it does get you to the fishing spots.

8. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    yea i have to agree find something that will benifit you and your needs and still be safe. as for cheap you get what you pay for. lowes makes a fine boat and i wouldnt hesitate to buy one if i was in the market. as for 12 to 14 foot dont even bother. my tracker is 18 feet has a weight capacisty for people of 685. so you can see the issues involved.id go look at lowes or tracker at a dep v setup. jons are nice but by the time you find one that will meet the real needs you may as well buy a deep v.

9. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    The weight capacity is listed for evenly distributed weight over the entire boat , not 400 lbs leaning over the side in the rear. A narrow boat will take on water fast. Get a wide boat.

10. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    i have a 14' narrow Pleasure Craft PanFish boat with a 25 hp Johnson. The max weight capacity tags says 400 lbs :eek: .
    I weigh in at 255 lbs, :confused: last year I sank it!! :wub:

11. crlail41

crlail41 New Member

State:
    Hickory NC
    Go for safety first. A small cheep boat is no good to you if you drown. My suggestion-Go to a dealer and let him help you figure out what you need to fish like you want to fish. Then consider the price. There are many good used boats out there at a reasonable price. You just have to hunt them

12. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    A cheap something would be a tractor inner tube tied to a piece of plywood and stay close to the bank , wear ur PFD. :D All kidding aside, get a deep and wide!!
    i had to get a TriToon to be safe and stay dry!!

13. oldnndway

oldnndway New Member

State:
    Texas
    Matthew, I weigh durn near 300 lbs myself.

I've been using 14 ft. flat bottoms (jon boats) since I was knee high to a frog.

They do just fine as long as you stay out of the big water (big waves) and do OK in some waves.

I don't think your weight will be a problem, especially if you set it up (you mentioned oars) to where you operate it from the middle.

I have climbed all over mine from front to back ... even had a casting deck (like a bass boat) on the front for a while with a swivel seat mounted on it and I've never felt like I was going to tip over.
    I've climbed in from the side where I had to spring from the bottom to get my belly on the gunwale then bring my legs over one at a time (not an easy feat) with the boat empty and it never acted like it would flip...all in all a pretty stable platform.

I have a 10 hp outboard and a little 32 lb trolling motor and I can get around pretty good.

I don't exactly knock a hole in the wind but then I don't have them big notes and insurance that them boys with the 25' bass boats and 300 hp engines do either.

To each his own.

14. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    :) Yall are real nice to me and I thank you so much. I seen a old pleasure boat in a yard the other day. I wonder would a real cool old boat from the 70s or 80s be fix upable? I love those old big boats that they show on those old cool movies. But serious ly thanks so much.

15. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Somethin like this one only really older and maybe needs work.

Attached Files:

• 73_1.jpg
      73_1.jpg
      File size:
      38.9 KB
      Views:
  16. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    Just do a little research to see what the towing capacity of your vehicle is before you make a purchase. :D

17. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    That boat, if the motor is in good shape, probably would be ok for catfishing, though a more open boat would be better. The problem with boats that need a "little fixing" is that it usually costs more to fix the boat than to buy a better one. If the boat is in poor shape, doesn't look like its been cared for, then you can bet the motor will be the same. There's nothing wrong with a boat showing that its been well used, but stay away from anything that looks like neglect or abuse. There are plenty of good boats out there for cheap because the motor done gone and went or is in bad shape. For a used bigger boat, the boat itself usually isn't the big ticket, its the motor. Before you buy used, try the boat out. If possible, take it to a boat yard and have them look at the motor. Be especially sure to check out the trailer. Wheel hubs and bearings and lights are often shot on used boats...maybe repairable at a cost, but shot. Check the trailer frame for cracks, bad welds, and loose or missing bolts.

The other thing about that boat is that its fiberglass and heavy. Wouldn't want to pull it with a 4 cylinder car. Its probly also a handful to try and handle alone. That said, its a stable fishing platform, just not really a fising boat.

18. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Me and my buddy used to fish out of his 14 ft. john boat all the time had alot of fun and caught alot of fish.We had a couple of hairy situations,and at times was just too cramped.Since then we both have gotten bigger and safer boats.Keep your eyes and ears open,you dont have to spend that much more to get what you want.

19. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i will have to agree if your going to use a 4 cylinder that boat in the pic is a bit to much. also was some good advice given check the motor out like said that is the high ticket item boats are nothing. if a person is not willing to go with you to take a boat in and have the engine checked dont buy it. or at the least are not willing to run the engine for you at the house dont buy it.

20. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    You guys are great Thanks