Chedder Is Better

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Blade4130, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Two weeks ago like many of you I wasn't catching a damn thing. I got tired of going out and getting skunked. So I put in three days of finding personal honey holes for shad. Being a bank fisherman now instead of the many years of having a boat has made me change a few ways about how I fish. So far I have adapted pretty well. Anyhoo! I found a freakin mother load of a place that I can get shad at almost any point of the year:big_smile: better yet, it's only a ten minute drive from my house and only the owner of the land knows what I am doing down there and I have a key to go anytime:big_smile: It really pays off to talk to talk to some farmers.

Last week, I was on an absolute tear again catching many channels ranging from two to ten pounds. I was using shad and I also found that using a crawler tipped with a minnow was a little better. That set up also got me a 40+ pound carp that was a absolute blast to catch. The fishing was fair over the weekend. Still caught some, but not as many until last night with the best night yet.

Yesterday I was completly bored as my knee was giving me some problems "I am having full knee replacement surgury soon" I was looking through some old tapes that I had and found a very old VHS Catfishing Tape of a guy named Dan Gapen. I am not even sure where I got the thing and completly forgot about it. The video wasn't all that great, but one part stood out that I never thought of. He talked about how most stink and dough baits are cheese based. He talked about how you can make your own, but he likes a quicker way. He took a small block of sharp chedder and put it on his hook. I've tried many things as many of you may have, but never thought of just putting a small block of cheese on my hook.

Back to last night <lol>. My knee started feeling better again and we went out last night. It was to late to make it to the bait shop for minnows and as I grabbed my night crawlers from the fridge I remembered that small part from the video. I had a brand new block of sharp chedder cheese so I grabbed that as well. I used it by it's self with little success. So as I did with the minnows and night crawler. I decided to use both night crawler and cheese. They freakin loved it! I was getting hits so hard and fast that my buddy immediatly went from shad to what I was using. An hour later we ran out of cheese and hauled butt to price chopper for some more. When we got done fishing last night between the both of us we caught somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 cats. <lol> to damn many to keep count. Most went back as I already have more than I can eat, but damn it was fun.

I am sure thats not going to work all the time. However, I think I will be keeping some chedder cheese as part of my arsenal for channels. I would be out there tonight if my knee wasn't hurting so bad with the rain around. Friday night it's on again and I hope to have another great night out. It's always a great night out if you don't catch anything anyway. Good luck to all you guys the next time your out and hey, you might want to try a little block of sharp chedder cheese on your hook.

Don

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great story, thanks for this valuable post

3. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I'll have to keep this in mind, cheddar plus for bait. Thanks for the tip.

4. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    Thanks for sharing the story and congrats on a great night.

5. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Thatnks for the new info, where are you fishing? :angry:

6. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Inovation at its finest. tight lines and some rep to you

7. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    ill give it a shot !!!

8. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I'll be trying it also. Thanks.

9. jkim546

jkim546 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    great story, its funny how cheeses worls wonders...
    I remember a couple of months ago, i was fishin and the nobody was cathing. Almost everyone was fishing with Mackeral and Shrimp.

I had some cheesy hotdogs we were eating and said what the hell... baited the hook and actually got continuous bites and hook ups that day.

The perks of catfishin'; using whatver you got... :big_smile:

10. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Thanks guys, I hope it works for you. I am using a 4/0 octopus circle hook. Big enough to put a small block of cheese on with a large night crawlers. You can go down to a 3/0 or 2/0 if you use smaller crawlers or chunks of sharp chedder cheese. The chunks of cheese don't have to be real thick, but don't use them in real slim chunks as they can and sometimes will fly off even during delecate casting. Just a nice small chunk hooked once through will stay on just fine.

11. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks For The Info Great Post Don:smile2:. I Might Have To Try It.

12. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Nothing we like better than a good chunk of sharp cheddar. Me and my trusty sidekick Roy {Williams} the wonder dog are eatin some right now.Nobody chomps on a chunk of cheddar like a 125 pound golden retreiver.You can hear his jaws woosh when he slams them shut on a defenseless piece of cheese like a nile crocodile ambushing an unsuspecting wildebeast. I think he's got like 3,000 psi of jaw pressure.So I will chunk the cheese at home and put it in a ziplock bag. I will wait till there's a school of channel cats surfacing and throw it right in next to the turkey liver. If it doesn't produce I will eat the rest for a Scooby Snack.Do ya think that really smelly stuff like Limberger or Bleu cheese would work better?:confused2::crazy: Roy went with me a couple years ago on 4th of July when my buddy cancelled at the last minute. 100 degree day we caught over 100 channel cats 4 over 10 lbs. I hooked an 18 pounder and Roy fell out of the boat and into the lake when he got too excited.Nothing like trying to land a 18 pound channel and a 125 lb golden retreiver at the same time by yourself. Had to haul him in over the transom of my bassboat. He licked every single fish I caught before I released them.We even caught an 8lb. wiper.He fell in twice and jumped in 3 times. Have a bunch of pics but not digital ones.

13. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    LMAO !!! Oh I bet that was funny to watch. I love how you word your posts Eric. Scooby snack. That was good. :smile2:

14. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    <lol> funny story and it sure wouldn't hurt anything expeirmenting with other cheeses:big_smile:

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Certainly wouldn't hurt, but FYI, I read where someone did that a few years ago, and the winner was plain sharp cheddar. Of course, there's always the possibility that something else will work best for you.

16. Blade4130

State:
    Independence MO
    Sharp Chedder is exactly what I was using:big_smile: I am going out tonight and see if it will work again.