Check your waterway

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by DELLIS, Apr 26, 2006.

1. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Report Says 1,600 Indiana Waterways Too Polluted To Fish
    INDIANAPOLIS, IN-A newly released Department of Natural Resources report says nearly 1,600 streams and lakes in Indiana are unsafe to fish or swim because of pollution ranging from animal waste to chemicals.
    The report classifies 30 percent-or more than 9,500 miles-of the state's 31,844 miles of streams, and 93 of its 1,504 lakes, as being too polluted for swimming, fishing or both due to pollutants such as bacteria, fertilizer, chemicals, mercury and sediment.
    Although the state's list of polluted waterways has more than tripled since 2002, Indiana's waterways aren't necessarily getting dirtier, says Jody Arthur, senior environmental manager at the Indiana Department of Environmental Management. She says the state simply is doing a more thorough job of assessing waterways, as required by the federal Clean Water Act.
    Yet Arthur says the sheer size of this list underscores the need to reduce pollution that largely has gone unregulated, including runoff from developments and farms, and pollution in even small waterways such as drainage ditches.
    The report, which the DNR submitted last month to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, represents the most comprehensive attempt to assess the health of the state's waterways.

north american fishing club has published this thought you all would like to know

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I read that article in the Indy Star a couple of weeks ago and also found the report online that shows all the waterways and their pollution levels in the state. It's really a shame how many waterways on there are highly polluted.

3. haroldlp

haroldlp New Member

State:
    IN
  4. hsteveh

hsteveh New Member

State:
    in
    USE TO BE GREAT FISHING OF ALL KINDS IN INDIANA...NOW...SUCKS...THEY KEEP PUTTING MUSKIES IN OUR LAKES..JUST FOR THE $$$$ IT BRINGS IN FROM MUSKIE ANGLERS..JUST SUCKS!
    DIDNT NEED THEM BEFORE,:crying: SURE DONT NEED ANYMORE OF THEM!

5. hsteveh

hsteveh New Member

State:
    in
    cant agree more!!!!

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    But you know what guys, it isn't just the pollution from industry, agriculture and untreated waste.
    The shorelines are a mess and a lot of that mess is trash left behind by people fishing (I won't call them anglers). I never cease to be amazed and disgusted by the crap I find; everything from miles of fishing line to Mc D's wrappers to empty beer bottles to liver cartons to tackle packaging. There seems to be a custom here in Indiana that if your folding chair breaks while fishing you just leave it behind.
    I'm not saying we shouldn't care about the quality of the water or that those reponsible for polluting it shouldn't be held accountable but in general we are not in any position to point fingers at the polluters of the water when we do the same on the banks...W

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    thx for the heads up and the liknk guys!