Check your Ebay!! Often!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by DANZIG, Dec 15, 2007.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    FYI
    Some one hijacked my ebay account, changed the registration info and tried to sell with my ebay name.:angry:

I only caught it so fast on account of they violated ebay policy with the listing and ebay sent the violation email to me.

Check your Ebay!! Often!

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I havent had that problem... but now i know it could happen thanks for the heads up

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Thanks for the heads up. I just closed another Ebay deal on two reels.:wink:
    Mark's Christmas.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well ,I'm clear . I aint never bought or sold anything on E-bay and dont intend to.

5. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I am not sure how it was done, it may have even been some sort of Ebay screw up as my password and email was NOT changed, but my new password is gonna be a doozy!
    And you can bet I 'll be paying closer attention to my account from now on.

Thank goodness they did not hack my paypal. I'll be changing that password too.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Richard, I've had an Ebay account for 4 or 5 years and never used it until I needed a rare part for an 87 Mariner outboard (the trim/tilt unit).
    New would cost me around 800 for the motor and pump. Ebay, $140.00.

I'm also into a specific reel not made anymore. I've started picking them up on Ebay , some dirt cheap, others like new condition or new condition in the box cheaper then I bought them 20 years ago new.

Its like anything else. Figure out what you are willing to spend and hold to it.
    You'll win some auctions and lose some auctions.

I had my doubts at first too, but I can see myself shopping more and more on Ebay for specific things.

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "I just closed another Ebay deal on two reels."

One for me?
    Rats! Now I got to get you something!:wink::smile2::smile2:

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Me and Ebay are best buddies, this is the first I have ever had a problem and they were very responsive and helpful.

I still don't have a bad thing to say about it. It's just like anything else, you have to watch after your own business.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

One doesn't work, I'll send it right to you.:smile2:
    I basicly bought both of them because of the bags of new spare parts that came with them.
    Both reels have had their parts discontinued. I bet the seller didnt know that but everybody bidding on them did I think because it went alot higher then I expected.

10. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I use Ebay somewhat, and haven't had any problems so far. I do notice around the holidays, I get more fake Ebay notices. I always send them to spoof@ebay.com . I'm not sure this does any good, but it sure don't hurt. Later Andy

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Same thing happened to me they closed my account but I was able to have them reopen it. I changed my password to Ebay and to my email account.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I get spoof e-mails saying they are closing my account. Dont fall for it, they ask you to re-open your account and change your password ect. Its a scam trying to get your info.

13. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    General rule of thumb is to have at least eight characters and to include capital letters, lower case letters, numbers and symbols. I hope that helps with your choice.

-- Rich

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I love ebay! :big_smile: My feedback number is 612 so yeah I do a lot of business on there! :roll_eyes: Been a member since April 2001 and never had a problem. I've bought hundreds of fishing related items. Like a few people have already mentioned, fake emails come around trying to get your account info and should be reported to spoof@ebay.com or spoof@paypal.com. Never respond to one of these emails because ebay does not send out this kind of email. I just remembered I need to bid on a few things :smile2:!

15. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Nothing is sacred these days.:angry:

16. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have bought and sold on Ebay for several years now. I have bought boats, trucks, motorcycles, and all sorts of small things from Ebay. Sold more than I have bought. I have done a lot of large transactions on EBay.
    The one time I truly had a problem was when I sold a very nice ATV that i had fixed up and decided to sale.
    The ATV ended for $9,000 and two days after the sale I got several emails from friends of mine from another forum that knew it was for sale on Ebay.
    They asked if the winning bidder had re listed the ATV.
    He had not even taken delivery of it yet.
    Someone had jacked my photos, listing description (exactly) and had re listed it using there account. Item location said Louisville, KY and the high bidder was from NC. I called the winning bidder and told him what was going on. He was going to call me to see why it had bee re listed.:confused2:
    The person that had re listed it did so with a buy it now of $7,000 just after it sold for $9,000. They wanted a $1000 pay pal deposit with the rest to be paid upon pick up.:smile2::angry::crazy:
    My deal with the high bidder was competed and it did not cause me any trouble but that is an example of what types of things thieves will try to do on Ebay for a profit.
    I reported them to Ebay but never found out anything else after they told me they were going to try to go after this type of fraud. My guess is nothing was done other than stopping the listing. Because it was re listed two or three times over the next few weeks by different user names.:angry:

There was nothing in the fake listing to tie me into the deal but I still keep a close watch on that particular item category for a few months to make sure it was re listed.

Bottom line with Ebay, if it looks to good to be true than you better know what you are getting yourself into. I only buy from Ebayers with high positive feedback scores.

Thanks
    David

17. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I've never been able to win anything on ebay until last week. I have a weird ex and she had in the past hacked & hijacked my old email account and pretended to be me. then I changed everything into latin since I took a few years of it in high school (ex....Melanophryniscus stelzneri, Agalychnis callidryas, Ictalurus punctatus....not spanish). My user names and passwords are all in latin and my email persona name is a movie character, silent bob. What? jay and silent bob are cool. I also use 2 email addresses. One is used for family & trusted sites like the boc. And the other is for sites that I dont trust. I'll give them a trial period and if it doesnt increase the flow of trash to my email, then I go in and change my email address with them to go to my real email.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats how they got me years back. like a moron i gave a spoofer my e-mail and password and username. luckely i checked it daily and saw the $5000.00 worth of cell phones for sale on my acct, when i canceled the auction they changed my password and the reason i didnt get the confirmation on the auction they listed all my e-mail was forwarded to them. i learned the hard way but ebay shut my acct down immed cause i e-mailed them as soon as i was locked out of mt acct. i no longer give info out to any one. the spoof e-mail i got looked just like it was from e-bay.