Check Your Dog's Mouth Regularly

Discussion in 'The BOC's Animal House' started by Catgirl, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Look inside and notice any changes that might be occuring.

For those of you who brush your dog's teeth as much as you do your children's, then there may be no need to read this. You already have a handle on your canine's oral health, and therefore, in a lot of ways, health in general.

Things have changed in the years since I was growing up. No one, that I knew, brushed their pet's teeth or felt the need to investigate their oral cavity back then (unless something extremely unusual was going on). Dogs were dogs, and people were people.

Even if you take your canine to the vet for a regular once-a-year checkup and shots, something could pop up that you may not see without investigating further.

This has happened recently with my 15-year-old golden retriever, Blossom.

Folks say you can't teach an old dog new tricks....evidently you can't give old dogs hard bones either. A couple of months ago, I gave her a T-bone. She's always loved 'em, and she loved THAT one.

A few days afterwards, I noticed that her nose seemed swollen on the right side. "Hmmm", I thought. "What's up with that?"

She's had her teeth brushed occasionally, and always had regular yearly vet checkups. She had no problem eating and was as active as most dogs her age.

Upon further investigation, I saw a THING in there, in her mouth. It was pretty large, and some parts of it looked gray. I've dealt with animals for a long time, and I thought it was an abcess (infection). Furthermore, she had three loose teeth at the same spot.

Time to visit the veterinarian, so we did. He'd seen her in January 2008 for her yearly physical, and nothing at that time. Perhaps Dr.John will tell us if older dogs, or dogs of particular breeds, are prone to tumors as they age.

Doc Rob said it might be a tumor. I didn't think so (didn't want to). I figured I knew quite a bit about dogs and their health problems. But it is. And a tumor as large as this one is bound to be malignant.

I chose not to "send it off", pretty much knowing what the results would be. I trust Doc Rob, and when you have other children (pets in my case) to consider, and in these times the costs of caring for them......

That's the story so far. Blossom is still kickin' and eating normally. Doc Rob did remove the three loose teeth of course. He said that the looseness was perhaps caused by her chewing the T-bone I gave her, but also may be due to bone weakness caused by the tumor.

Since the surgery (tooth extractions), IMO the growth of the tumor has increased. It doesn't seem much larger on the INSIDE of her mouth, but the swollen area on her nose is expanding.

So Doctor, what do you think? How long will Blossom be around?

I will do what is necessary when I see she is unable to eat or function normally; just wondered what your opinion is on that dadgum time scale....the one that gets us all.

Thank you for your help.

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Tanya sorry to hear about Blossom. i hope everything works out for the best.

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tanya, let me snap these gloves off here and we'll talk.

Tanya there are two kinds of trouble. Trouble and real trouble.

Blossom has one of the two and it ain't good. What you have described can be a multitude of things, some death on the doorstep knocking and others death on the sidewalk getting ready to walk up to the door.

Actually, not to get you a 100% worried here there are some things that can look terrible and with minimal care make the dog comfortable.

Some strikes already given. Tissue size, extent, tooth involvement and location. All not good. Your Doc seems and honest dude. I am sure he will advise you properly. My concern always in these kinds of things was the dogs age. If a younger patient then I would have no problems attacking these things aggressively. The older the dog was to end of the string the less I gave a client as regards a positive prognosis. I saw many people who thought more about themselves and their feelings than they did the dogs.

You are the boss but your dog has rights to.

I have included a link for you and others to look at. Some pretty pictures for people like me to see. I hope they don't offend you. Go clear to the end of that link. There are some additional things there that all members who might have pets and are interested in them might like to look at.

John.

http://mypetdentist/.com/site/view/11387_RoalTumors.pml

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tanya and anybody else: I always screw up those links.

I tried to edit and was advised my time limit was up. To change it I would have to see an ADMINISTRATOR. That to me is like asking a lawyer for help. I'll do that when He$$ freezes over. So here is that link again.

http://mypetdentist.com/site/view/113837_OralTumors.pml

5. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    http://www.mypetsdentist.com/site/view/113837_OralTumors.pml

Here is where I found your link the one you reposted I still get a 404 error. THis worked for me but don't know if it's the one you were referrring to of course. This has a multitude of pics but maybe you are trying to show just one? dunno.

Sorry for butting in. When you scroll down it shows pics of the topic.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanx's Cher. In that link there is an underline mark between 113837 and Oral, like this ........113837_Oral..... Don't know if this has anything to do with it. There are a lot of pretty pictures there. I like 'em all. Tanya may want to look at the one called oral melanoma.

There are two places to look at at the bottom of the link that may be of interest to the general populace of this populated forum.

7. sat93us

sat93us New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks for all the info