Check them, and Check them NOW..Oven Fire

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Slatebar, Nov 26, 2009.

1. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    We just had the Oven to catch fire. Thank god I was able to get it put out. Food had boiled over onto the coils and for a couple minutes we had an oven full of flame and a house full of smoke. I keep 3 fire extingishers in this house and all three were dead. One of them had last been checked in 1985. What the hell was I thinking by ignoring something as simple as checking the charge in fire extinguishers. A couple boxes of salt and I was lucky to get the fire put out. But it could have been a lot worse. All is well now, dinner will be about an hour late but thats no big deal.
    Folks, PLEASE go check your fire extinguishers and alarms. Do it NOW. If you don't have them please go buy them. It could save you and your loved ones life. Happy Thanksgiving

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Thanks for the post. Going to check them right now. Glad it went well, hope your day ges better. Happy Thanksgiving.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My wife just lately cleaned the top of the fridge,,, one of ours was deader than a doornail,,,

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Great heads up,John. I watched a segment on Mythbusters a while back,They showed the difference in several stovetop fires from grease, amazingly lard had the least flareup of all,Be carefull ,and cook smart.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks for the post an the reminders.

6. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    great post i keep an eye on mine you never know when there needed

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great post. You should have had one of those giant boxes of soda I saw at Sam's.

Only have but one extinguisher out in the garage. I bought it when I had a 1956 Ford. Probably no good now. :smile2:
    But it still shows pressure on the gauge. I'm sure the soda is caked like rock.

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Somehow I overlooked this thread when first posted. I checked my house extinguishers and found them down. Surprise!!!! I think this thread should be moved back to the top so more can read it. Thanks for the original post.

9. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yeah,losing your house in a fire is one of the hardest things to go through.my house burnt down 4 yrs. ago,and i still have'nt gotten everything back that i lost.no one was hurt,thank god.but we lost everything.check your detectors & exstinguishers,trust me you don't want to go through that.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Check the pressure and turn them upside down and tap with a rubber hammer at least twice a year. They will not work w/o pressure or if the powder is packed.

11. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Great post!! I am goping to check mine now. THANKS!