Check Point.............

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by MoJon, Aug 4, 2008.

1. MoJon

MoJon New Member

State:
    NoMo
    Dont know how many of you all read the KC Star but in the Sports page Sunday they said they were going to be doing Sobriety check points at Smutville AND on the Mighty MO!!!!!! Didnt say when it just said they were going to be holding them. Jon

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Personally I think they shuld do it a whole lot more often.And not tell when thier gonna do it.I like a good cold beer myself but not out on the waters in a boat.driving or otherwise.Dangerious enough out there with out adding to it.
    Thanks for the report..

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Hope they're not doing them on the river at night - they're likely to get run over by the boats with no lights... :eek:oooh:

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    How old do you have to be to drive a boat? I'd hate for Eric to get a ticket in case I need him to be my designated driver:eek:oooh:

5. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They have to post it in the paper if they're going to do any checkpoints, usually a week or so in advance. Likely will be a weekend, Saturday or Sunday, in the daytime when they expect the most boat traffic to be out, also where they expect the most boat traffic to be. Paid for by grants, we do them in 4 hour blocks, overtime, usually on Friday or Saturday nights, we start at 9pm usually. Chris

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks for the post and the info

7. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I know you have to have a boaters education card to drive a boat.

Says that you have to be at least 14 to operate boat unless under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian or other person that is at least 16. However I don't know how that would work if they deemed the supervisor under the influence of something.

8. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the checkpoints and I don't drink myself, but it sounds like an awfully lonely job compared to a checkpoint on a lake or on a highway. Unless they stake out the Kaw Point ramp on tournament day, they will be lucky to find 5 boats to check.

Here is a link to the KC Star article, the checkpoint mention is near the bottom:
    http://www.kansascity.com/sports/story/731268.html

9. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I think it is a good idea! If you are worried about it you shouldnt be operating a boat. And maybe they should catch some the people running without lights. Safety First!

Tom

10. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I hope they arrest every drunk out there. Personally I feel they ought to be able to sit in the parking lot of bars and stop anyone that turns the key. Keeps you and I safer on the roads and waterways. Hats off to the law enforcement officers for conducting check points.

11. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Boater education certificates or cards only apply to lakes in the state of Missouri believe it or not. The rivers require NOTHING!:eek:oooh:

12. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    thats interesting since about half the questions pertain to river specific items.

13. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I just called the water patrol and as of right now it is only lakes that require the boater education, however they did say that there is legislation in the process to change it to apply to rivers as well. So that will be something to watch for.

14. MoJon

MoJon New Member

State:
    NoMo
    Doesnt that "boater education" thingy only pertain to certain years of age.

15. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Beginning January 1, 2005, every person born after January 1, 1984, who operates a vessel on Missouri lakes shall possess, on the vessel, a boating safety identification card issued by the Missouri State Water Patrol (along with a valid photo ID). If you fall into the required age range and are a resident of Missouri, you will need to obtain a Missouri certification card. If you are a resident of Missouri but do not fall into the age range, you are not required to have the Missouri card. Remember, a vessel is every motorboat and motorized watercraft including a personal watercraft.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    1984???

I've got socks older than that... :tounge_out:

17. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    As it should be. I don't want them giving classes and teaching people the river's a safe place to be and they should go there:smile2:

18. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Some darn good advice there John...Good idea if your gonna have a beer on shore to stop drinking and allow time to assure you are at legal limits before driving home. Only takes one time to make what could be the worst mistake of your life or end of your life...

19. fisherman63650

fisherman63650 New Member

State:
    missouri
    you probably talk on a cell phone while you drive and think it is allright but drinking a beer is the worst thing in the world.you shouldnt drink and drive at all but it dont hurt to drink and have a good time talking on the cell phone and driving is more dangerous.

20. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

??????????:smile2:

Gee, and I always thought being DRUNK behind the wheel was way more dangerous! Thanks for clearing that up.:0a5: