Check out these floats!

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, Jun 1, 2009.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Wild Wolf Products, a long-time sponsor of the BOC, provides a great safety float that is absolutely a lifesaver for kayakers and canoeists. Their description is as follows:

Check them out at http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/safetyfloat.htm.

2. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the link. I have two of the fish grips and they do work great. May have to get some of the floats for some of my equipment.

PAT:big_smile:

Attached Files:

3. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Those are some great pictures, Patrick!

I just purchased a fish gripper from BassPro, and intend to attach a safety float to it.

I will also consider attaching one to my push pole and landing net. The large float might work well on the paddle itself, actually!

I prefer floats to tethers. Too many lines attached to your kayak become a hazard themselves.

For $5-$6, the investment in insurance is well worth it!

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Joel
    Thanks for thinking of a use I had not even given any thought to. Can you think of a different length of safety float that would work better for your kind of use? I can make them from 2" up to what ever length you can think of.
    pete

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In a kayak the smaller the better as long as it keeps your gear off the bottom of the lake. Personally I have a yacht size kayak and more room than I could ever use but most of my kayak buddies have very small boats and room is at a premium. It might be worth taking a 2" and attaching it to a few pieces of typical kayak fishing equipment and see what the minimum that will keep it afloat is. I have used some of your bobbers and they work great!

One of the most annoying things for me is my rod leash. It has saved my rod a few times but it really gets in the way and gets tangled easy. If there was something you could attach to a pole that would keep it up but wouldn't get in the way of casting or using a pole holder that would be great. Figuring out how to do it might be a bit harder.

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Theres a float that wraps around the rod in front of the reel. That is made for that. Can't remember off hand the name of it. But its small but floats a rod and reel.
    I will make up some 2" safety floats and give them a try.
    pete

7. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Thank you, Pete. It sounds like real engineering work going on over there!

Smaller floats probably would work well, especially in that kayakers tend to go for smaller and lighter due to a more confined space. This is a wide-open opportunity for Wild Wolf, being that kayak fishing fever is spreading faster than the swine flu!

I think that the safety float idea would work well as an improvement on anchor floats, too. Too bad that I just bought an egg-float a couple months ago...but I'll try out the safety float here and see how it works.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have some made up for anchor floats that are about 12" and 16" works great in slack current or lakes.
    Will get to work on the smaller ones next week.
    Thanks for the great ideals.
    pete