Check out B-1 Recovery

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Dec 3, 2006.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    At about 10 p.m. local time on May 8, 2006, a 7th Bomb Wing B-1B Lancer based at Dyess AFB, Texas, made a wheels-up belly landing on runway 31 at Diego Garcia, skidding 7,500 feet down the runway. The aircraft was landing at the end of an 11 hour ferry mission that started at Andersen AFB, Guam. During the landing, the B-1B caught fire and emergency crews extinguished the flames. The four-person aircrew escaped from the plane through the overhead escape hatch. The aircraft was finally removed from the runway 4 days later. The Air Force Accident Investigation concluded the pilots forgot to lower the landing gear. The USAF estimated the damage to the B-1B at $7.9 million, and the damage to the runway at $14,025. RBRM and those old SEABEES made one tough runway, that's for sure! For those of you who've never seen a $285,000,000.00 bomber on the deck, click here.
    Note: these are large but excellent pictures, those with dialup will be slow.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks dayton that was an awsome sight To see. I bet that sucker will be back in the air in less then 3 months.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thats one big plane , what happens to the crew if it was their fault , do they lose their jobs or get demoted or just what exactly ?

thanks for sharing

4. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Bet some folks pooped their flightsuits!
    :lol:

5. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Theres one in better shape just down the interstate at Mahoney State Park (SAC Museum). Even though its been mothballed, maybe the could swap parts and save us taxpayers a whole lot of $$$ and switch out parts!!!

Thanks for sharing this!

Kenny

6. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    All I'd like to ask the pilot is HOW DO YOU FORGET THE LANDING GEAR??

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

All I can say is wow. How long will that take to repay out of payroll deduction? lol

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Hope those pilots are off drugs and alcohol.

And I thought I had really done some crazy things. :wink:

Thanks for sharing that Dayton!

Take care.
    Cheryl

P.S. Hi Betty!

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I did the same thing when flying MS Flight Simulator and even that made me feel stupid. And there is no gear warning light on it. :lol:

The good thing about it all... the co-pilot suffered only a minor back injury and the other three crew members were not injured.

I've since found the following information about the screw up:

The final report shows that the pilot unexpectedly gave control to the co-pilot on the final approach. The pilot told the tower the gear was down, despite the fact that the descent/before landing checklist was never completed -- and worse, the landing gear was never lowered. The red warning light in the gear handle --indicating all landing gear was NOT down and locked -- was ON for more than 4 minutes during the approach and the three "gear down" green lights were NOT illuminated. It slid 7,500 feet on its belly and engine pods. Contributing factors were the co-pilot's over-saturation and urgency to complete a long mission; both pilots' inattention to instrument readings and the descent/before landing checklist, and the co-pilot's false belief the pilot had lowered the landing gear.

10. oldprowler

oldprowler New Member

State:
    Mannford, Oklahoma
    Thanks for that information Dayton, I spent a good part of the day on the site. Lots of good reading on there. Most of it real funny in an insane way.

11. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You would think that on a $285,000,000.00 plane that the landing gear would go down on it's own at a certain altitude. What could that cost?
    Another $10.00?

12. scout

scout Active Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Great pics Dayton. Stuff like that does happen from time to time. Here where I work the pilots sometimes forget to lower the landing gear from some of the larger helicopters that they fly.

13. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    To error is human. But dang!
    Bill

14. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    NEVER would have happened in the SAC days. Never.

15. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Dayton,
    Thanks, thats a massive plane. I cant imagine forgetting the landing gear. Thats almost funny. Its a good thing that no one was injuried. I suppose the same thing happens in vehicles when people say that they got the brake and gas confused...Typical human error!:roll_eyes: