Cheating at the Store

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Matthew72, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I went into a sporting goods store and was looking at there fishing sellections. No one asked me if I needed help, which really did not bother me. When I was ready I found a salesman and asked him for what I wanted. I asked, " Do you have a good catfishin pole?" He Reached over and grabed a 5 foot Sturdystick with a trolling type eye on it. I said I was wanting a 7 or 8 foot Heavy action rod and he showed me some combos with the rod I wanted and I asked if he had a rod like that by its self. He said no and I turned to go. He said you can get the rod and the reel that goes with it for a few more bucks. I looked and saw that the reel was a cheap Diawa panfishing deal. I like that reel but I dont need one. The papers attached to the rod said it came with a 808 magnum Zebco. The price was for a 808 combo. I felt cheated and left. Was I right in this situation.

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I would have probally said something about the tag saying one thing and another thing on the rod. At least bring it to a manager's attention.

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    maybe you should have pushed the 808 combo as marked , false advertisement is against the law i beleive .

4. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    me to they won't see me in there any more.

5. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    It would depend on if the price was the same as it would have been with the 808 reel. If it was reduced to reflect the lesser reel that makes it a different case.

If the price was the one that was originally for the rod and an 808 reel I would have brought it to his attention and asked him about it.

Sadly many shoppers are very unscrupulous and are not above changing a reel out on a combo, thereby making them the cheaters. If that happens and an employee is not extrememly knowledgeable about the inventory and what combo includes what they may not realize the combo was not what it should have been.

The only way to find that one out would be to bring it to the salesperson's attention.

If it was a case of the salesperson knowing it was not correct and he was trying to pull a quick one on you then yes, you would have been right to walk out and not go back. But if he was not the owner of the said shop, I would certainly take the time to let the owner know what is going on as well.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    That would definitely be tha las they ever saw of me [course with my mouth id prob. get asked not to come back anyway] but id have laid it on them about the tag and such

7. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    There was about 30 or 40 of these "combos" and all were swapped. I went and got some hooks and walked out.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    You got to remember just because there working in the hunting/fishing section of the store don't mean they know beans about it. You have to tell them man, hell they might be the ones that got ripped off first. haha

9. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    If you think the price was good for the combo with an 808 then I would go back and bring it to the manager's attention. I've worked retail for years and the customer is always right. They would most likely appologize and switch out the reel for an 808. If they are really honest (and believe you) they may even switch out the reel on the rest of the combos there.