Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The water is still high, but indeed it's fishable. The skippies didnt seem to be there but the shad was plentiful.

There were 2 gentleman down there that were nice enough to give me some of the gizzard shad to fish with, which was nice because I don't have a cast net!

I went to the steps on the left once you pull into the parking lot. I tend to stay away from the catwalk and I like to fish the calmer waters.

Within 5 minutes of casting out the gizzard shad cut bait, I hooked up with a 10+ lb drum. About an hour later another 10+ lb drum... and ANOTHER 10+ lbs drum. I was getting disappointed that they were not cats but, hey, at least I was catching. I was just about to move closer to the dam and heavy current and I got a nibble, set the hook and landed a 12lb Blue Cat. This was very exciting for me as I've never even caught a blue before, I CPR'd it for good luck.

Besides the fishing I met 2 very nice guys down there today and hope to fish with them again. I invited them to come check USCA out as they both were avid catfisherman. It's so nice to have a companion when you are fishing it really makes it that much more enjoyable.

· Registered
1,254 Posts
I have never fished off of the bank below Cheatham, but my experiance at other dams is to fish on the bottom on the backside of the boil or drift fish with the current. Keep going, most locals that fish below dams are very helpful after they gotten to know you a little.

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Good to hear your catching a few fish.I know you had been saying that you were struggling catching anything..Congrats on your first catfish..Shad and skips are a primary food source for most fish down below the dams and thats why we all say to use them...Thats what happens when you use a bait that the fish are used to eating..If you plan on making catfishing a long term hobby, then you probably should go ahead and invest in a small cast net..Maybe a 5 footer..Anyways congrats again on your first cat..

· Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think I'll head back down to Cheatam Dam today and give it another shot... low percentage of rain, Mid 80's... pressures failing... but that don't bother me, we all have to eat at one point.

Gonna try to be down there around 10am maybe 11am... gonna pick up a cast net. If you see a Green Potanic Grand Am there, My name is Tim and thats me. I'll be down on the left hand side of the parking lot fishing where the little creek/tributary is at.

Well, cool. If you want my number to meet me down there. Send me a PM. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.