Cheat lake

Discussion in 'WEST VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by cchichy, Jul 14, 2009.

1. cchichy

cchichy New Member

State:
    Cookport,
    Anyone fish cheat lake ? and what is in it

2. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    There are cats in it but I beleive it is more of a bass/waleye/perch lake .

3. BassinWv

BassinWv New Member

State:
    WV
    Lots of channel cats, very very few flats. I have never caught a flat or seen anyone catch one but my friends dad says he has caught some. Bass and perch are abundent.

4. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have fished Cheat Lake for the last couple of years.

Never had much luck with catfish. I have caught a few bass, and my kids have caught a lot of bluegills. That is about it.

Can't help you on finding a good spot for finding catfish, sorry.

5. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

Where do you guys fish on Cheat Lake? From the bank or boat? I've fished where the Cheat goes into the Mon, Pretty decent down there, I've only water skied in the lake. If I would have known there were that many fish in there the skis would have stayed home.I heard somewhere that it was polluted from mine drainage years ago.

6. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I too have heard it was polluted from mine drainage, but the water has been cleaned up over the years and there are lots of fish in the lake.

It is sometimes hard to fish during the day and early evening, due to the large number of boaters and skiers. But early morning, and night are ok.

I have fish both from the bank, and from a boat. Boat is by far the best. From the bank, about the best place is from the bridge up stream to where the first boats are docked. That may be because that is the easiest bank to access the lake from more than where the fish are.

From a boat, well the head waters have always been good to me, as far up as I could get my boat, down to about the first house. Up stream, accross from Mount Chatue, where the houses are along the lake, is good cat fishing. I think they are there to pick the stuff that go in the water from all the bar-b-qs.

I have caught a few channels, no flats though, in the lake.

Some people do fish down at the park, near the dam. I have never had any luck at all down there, but I have heard that bass, bluegill, rock bass, and even pike can be caught near the park.

7. BigWes

BigWes New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Smallmouth fishing is great on the lake. Ive been fishing it at least once a week for the last month and a half. The key is small bait. We will boat 40 or so bass a day on small spinner baits like panther martins and roostertails. None have any size to them though. Lower end of the lake is more largemouth and upper end is small mouth. The arear from the bridges down to the big bend have not produces any fish at all for us. Channel cats are very abundent there. If you go upstream as far as you can go you can litterally see them laying down in the boulders and rocks on the bottom. it is super clear there too. The lower end of the lake is ok, i even got a 16" channel on it one day on a panter martin spinner on the face of a sttep rocky drop off. We see some really really big bass on the lower part of the lake and up in the coves but have never been able to catch any of them. **note*** in a boat, dont go through the middle section of the low water bridge. it is only a couple feet deep and covered in logs and stumps, it actually makes an island in the winter....go off to the sides. that whole aread though there is only 5 - 10 feet.

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the outstanding information, Wes. Welcome to the BOC! :0a25:

9. BigWes

BigWes New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thanks