CHEAPO LINES

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Sep 5, 2009.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    NOW I KNOW IM GOING TO START A RIOT HERE BUT I THOUGHT ID PUT SOMETHING ON YOUR BRAIN! ( I CAN SEE MY REP FALLING AS I THINK )

I DID A TEST WITH 40# PACIFICIA (A CHEAP BIG 5 BRAND LINE ) AND SOME 50# BBG I HAD LYING AROUND THE HOUSE......

I TOOK IT (BOTH LINES ) AND LAYED A 15 LB ROCK ON TOP OF THE LINES

I HADMADE A SAWING MOTION WITH BOTH THE LINES TOGETHER AND WANTED TO SEE WHICH LINE WOULD LAST
    *** I WAS ALMOST LIFTING THE ROCK WITH THE LINES, AND WAS MOVING THE LINES IN A CLOCK WISE PATTERN***

5 PASSES.........NOTHING
    10 PASSES........SCUFFING (BOTH)
    15 PASSES........LITTLE WHITE CHUNKS COMMING FROM THE BBG & STILL JUS SCUFFING THE PACIFICIA
    17 PASSES........BBG DIED:crazy:** TOTAL SHOCKER**
    20 PASSES.......PACIFICIA STILL HAS SCUFFING
    25 PASSES........ LITTLE MORE SCUFFING
    27 PASSES......... SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WAS REALLY CONFUSED WITH THIS TEST BUT IM NOT SHOCKED AT ALL !!!!
    50 LB OMNIFLEX (A 99CENT SHAKESPEARE LINE) IS ON MY NEIGHBORES TUNA SETUP AND HES BEEN USING IT FOR YEARS

EAGLE CLAW (BULK) MONO IS POPULAR AROUND HERE FOR LEADERS

EVERYONE HATES CAJUN RED LINE BECASUE ITS STIFF BUT ITS REALLY STRONG IN MY BOOK!!!

SEEM LIKE THE ONLY LINE THAT I DONT LIKE TO GET (UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE) IS SOUTH BEND MONO (JUS DONT LIKE THE CO.)

BEING I THINK IM FALLING HEAD OVER HEELS FOR BAITCASTER REELS I MIGHT USE THE CHEAPER LINES INSTEAD OF BUYING COMMON STUFF LIKE BBG STREN ECT....

I STILL HAVE MY SMALL SPINNING COMBOS AND THEY WILL ALWAYS HAVE BBG ON THEM :wink:

ALSO TYED A 15 LB WEIGHT TO BOTH THE LINES (SEPERATLY) AND BOTH OF THEM DIDNT BREAK EVEN WITH ME MAKING THE WEIGHT DANCE:smile2:

IDK....WAT DO YALL THINK????

LeRoy

2. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    Those cheap lines can be strong but many of them can't hold up to much shock from a fast hard run. That and NONE of them cast worth a crap. To me NO matter how strong a line is it's not worth 2 cents if it don't cast well. I think I'll stick with time tested Trilene for my reels.

3. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    BBG AND ITS OTHER ,TRILENE PROBABLY THE BEST FOR THE $$$ OUT THERE !!!!!!!!!!!

LeRoy

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i like the cajun line myself i think its tuff as nails.and i find the more you use it it loosens up it dosent stay stiff.in my opinion its some of the strongest line ive ever used.

5. festus

festus New Member

I am hooked on Big Game as a cheap line, but there's several I haven't tried yet, such as Cajun or OmniFlex. Bass Pro Shop's Excel is still around, but I don't think it's as good as it used to be.

6. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    I use 65# tugowar braid with a cajun red 40# mono leader. Never broke a line with it. I nearly pulled up an entire tree it felt like with that line setup and my penn 209. the limp was as long as my boat! lol I was trying to pull it until it broke the line. I was unsuccessful.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    berkly big game is super cheap. 7 bucls for a 600 yd spoll of 25 pound test, b ut it is a good line for baitcasters,,If you are just getting into bait caters why would you use junk line on good reels..Big game is cheap and good.

If you are gonna use chaep line on your baitcaster you will have all kind of proplems.like alot of birdnest..Why dont you just spend a dollar or 2 more and get something that actually works/

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    big thing with a bait caster is line memory, if the line has to much memory or is really stiff it wont cast well. also if you are trying to fish off the bottom, line memory will really effect your fishing in a bad way. JMO

I'll be sticking with big game for a while...

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Why would you even consdier eagle claw or omniflex, when big game is practially the sma e price when you buy larger spools.

10. bigkane

bigkane New Member

State:
    Ashland, K
    I'd say with the sawing test you didn't really prove anything. There's no way to know if you were keeping an equally consistent tension on the two. And the rock could have had a sharp spot that may have been cutting the BBG.
    In my experience using BBG this year, it's one of, if not the, toughest mono lines out there.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  11. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Jack said it all but I just felt like sayin it too...

what are ya thinkin ???? LOL

Ya'll know I'm for Cajun but......I do also use BG because it still darn good line. I use different color lines to separate my lines easier ( yep, smart, LOL ), unfortunately Cajun is red and red only.

One reel I'm running is the 25# green ( I also run 30# green ). Its good stuff but not good if you get hung up above your leader, the 30# is much better if ya timber fish like I do.

Yesterday I pulled in a 33# flat on the 25# BG and the fish had no chance what so ever. If I didn't turn him he would have found something and cut my line for sure. Jack, I thought of you as soon as I pulled in my flathead, on a bream head, at 11am in the morning, LOL. But yet...some folks just don't believe us ; (

What I don't understand is people complaining about memory. If you use a bait caster adjusted correctly, with 1.5oz weight or better the memory has no effect because of the weight. If your using a spinning reel and or little weight I can understand.

Sleek IMO stay with the proven record of BG or Cajun...spend that extra time ya got and go wet some lines instead, LOL.

12. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i agree with Jack & Jim good reel = good line BBG is the only way to fly in my book

13. Thad

Thad New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I tried the Cajun Line when it first came out. I think it was 10 or 12 lb and it stretched like a rubber band. Worst mono I ever used.
    That was my one foray away from Power Pro but if y'all like it I'll try some of the heavier stuff for leader material.

Thanks for the info!

14. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    I love the cajun line for bass fishing but that is all I have ever used it for. I bought a spool of 50# omniflex for about 3 bucks just to use it as a leader striper fishing close to rip rap. I was pretty impressed by it and now I use it for most all my leaders. I'll stick to my BBG for my main line though :wink:

15. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Geez... Is this the liner-whinner post? LOL...just kidding. You brought up some interesting thoughts and opinions in your post. Thanks...good read

16. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    As far as mono lines . I have been using alot of different ones this year myself . Big game - cajun - falcon - right now I am using stren 20# .
    For braided lines I tried power pro (was not impressed) - spiderwire - fireline - and ugly braid . The one that was unbelievably strong and I was impressed was the 65# ugly braid (mean stuff) .

17. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

ABOUT 23 SECONDS AFTER I POSTED THIS I KINDA CHANGED MY MIND...I PERSONALLY LIKE BBG AND CAJUN LIGHTNING THE MOST OUT OF ALL THE MONO BRANDS... DONT REALLY CARE FOR BRAID ANYMORE..(ONLY FOR CARP LEADERS...)

THE POST WAS TO GET YOU ALL THINKING ABOUT WHAT MANE BRANDS TAKE OUT OF LINES TO GET THEM GOOD AND SUPPLE W/ THE STRENGTH... IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY, THE 100-500 LB SALTWATER EADERS ARE ALMOST LIKE PURE PLASTIC STICKS?!?!?!?!? :crazy:CASUE THELL TAKE ALOT OF ABUSE:wink:

JUS SOMETHING TO PONDER:big_smile:

LeRoy

18. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    For catfishing, (when dealing with mono) I wouldn't think to use anything BUT BBG. Now, if we are talking other types of fishing, Suffix Elite is the way to go (Bass, trout, walleye, panfish, etc.) When I am fishing the salt, from the surf or pier, I strictly use Suffix Tritanium+(Hard to find now, they stopped making it) (only salt rod that doesn't, or will not because I haven't bought the rod yet, have it will be my anchor rod for the King T, that will have Ande Tournament in Pink! I will REALLY be able to tell my line apart from the other guys out there :wink:). I am actually thinking of switching my catfishing rigs over to Suffix Tritanium. It is THE BEST mono line out there, IMO! Braid, different game different story. I have rigs with both, and they are both used for different situations.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009