cheap targets?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by photocat, Dec 19, 2005.

1. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Anybody know of some cheap targets to practice with my new bow on? i was thinking of using a carboard box and filling it with shredded paper and similar stuff, will that work? if i pack it really tightly? what other ideas do you suggest?

2. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Cheap targets? Inlaws. :eek: LOL

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    here is a really cheap idea find about 15-20 big cardboard boxes and compress them all then you can wrap them in duct tape then you can shoot at them using the flat side or lay them on the side and shoot into the folds easy and cheap i hope this helps

4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    How about the square bails of hay with a painted target on it. I have done the compressing boxes into a larger one like Dusty suggested, works great. Large sections of styrofoam will work but can get messy. What king of bow do you have? If you can get ahold of some old feed bags you can stuff them with hay or shredded paper. Have fun.

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    its a 60 lb compound...

6. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    If you have a place that sells trailers around you, you can pick up the styrofoam that they use to put between them when shipping it comes wraped in plastic and if you get about 6 and have a rachet strap to hold them together you have a really cheap target and a good one that will last a long time.

7. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    If your on the river very much look for those big rectangular styrofoam blocks. They come out from under docks, etc, etc etc. They are usually tight enough to stop an arrow. We usually find them in drifts or up around snags with trash. Be careful using hay bales. My bow will penetrate through two of them and seems like it don't even slow it down.

8. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    As I previously stated on another post:Get some burlap bags and stuff them with the cotton from old matresses from the dump.They are really durable and the cost may be $.50 ea.You can pull the shafts back out with a couple of fingers.You should'nt get any shoot thru's either.Wo'nt remove any finish on the shafts. Not very good for broadheads so you need another type for them.My broadheads fly the same as target points,so that is all I use. Make a few so that you can shoot at diffrent distances from a selected spot.When the burlap gets worn,just put on another bag.Recycle is always cheap and helps cut down on landfills.
    Bill

9. Thomas P. Conley

Thomas P. Conley New Member

State:
    Copperas Cove,TX.
    Get a old rug and cut 8 to 10 pieces 3 feet square then use tie wire to hold all together. Hang against a fence or make a stand, this will last for a long time. Get some spray paint and put a target on it and shoot away.

10. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    I took some old sheets, cltohes, frabic..etc. and cut it into strips until I had enough to pack tightly into a pillow case. I was a bit skeptical about this idea at first because I'm shooting a 70# bow, figured my carbon arrows would go straight through it, but they dont. It's a good idea to put a double layer of duck tape on the back to prevent the bag from blowing out. The only down side to this target is that it wears out after a 100 shots or so and needs a new pillow case (Or burlap bag). Burlap will hold up a lot better if you can find it.

11. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    hmmm i was pondering this tonight when i was out w/ a friend... would a oversized/stuffed stuffed animal work ?