cheap spinncasters

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, May 26, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    if i use a cheap walmart openface reel, with 200 yards on there with a good rod , will that do the job for a big blue, willie does it

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'm sure it would work it the blue didn't spool the reel and/or rip the gears out of it. Nothing beats quality, except price. LOL But, most people don't hook into that big of a blue to begin with...seems like 10 percent of the fishermen catch 80 percent of the big fish. Unfortunately, I'm not in that 10 percent. LOL

3. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Can it be done? Yes.... Can you do it repeatedly? Maybe Will you have problems? Probably.

Think of it this way; Suppose you have a Truck and go to the Hardware store to get some concrete mix, lumber or whatever. The truck you have is a 1/2 ton and you overload it with 1500lbs. It will probably get you home, but I don't think you could do the same thing day in and day out. You'd be better off using a larger truck.

My question is, what happened to your Penn reels?

4. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    JOEYS RIGHT YOU CAN LAND A BIG ONE WITH AVERAGE GEAR BUT IT PAYS TO HAVE BIG GEAR IF YOUR FISHING FOR THE BIG ONES.DON'T DO LIKE I DID WHEN I STARTED AND LOOSE A FISH DO TO CHEAP GEAR.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    as you all know i got good abues, but i hate using them to make lomg casts, i use them for flatheads or if im on a boat in the miss, but i realized a baitcaster wont get me out like a cheap walmart spinner, ill load it up with 60 braid with a tighter drag, i only expect it to last a year, , but there ten bucks, i got a huge zebcoe that never got abuesed,spinncast floattrip willie does this, he uses the rod not the reel hes got 80 pound test on his walmart cheap reels

6. thecatman

thecatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    dont skimp on price when it comes to fishing for the big boys if ya do its not much differant than going into a gun fight with just a knife dont expect cheap gear to hold up to everyday fishing and with abu's you can make long casts you may just need to down size in line and use larger weights i know with a 3 oz weight on a shakespear tidewater i can throw it about 75-100yds easily

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They might hold up a few trips. Better off to get a good one like a Diawa EM cast 5000 70 bucks ya gota order em online from BP. Or if you can find em I only got one left, the others where stolen:angry: a quantum optix 60. They only run 24 bucks when wall mart carried em. Bad thing about the cheap spinnen reels is the anti reverse goes out of em, the gears crash easy, handles + reel stems break and the drags are junk they give out fast. I do alot of spoonbill snaggen and luv to cast for em. If a reel holds up to bank snaggen for spoons its a good reel in my book for blues and flatts. Also drop down to 25lb mono blues wont try to hang ya up as bad as flatts.

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i agree, but im a poor man now, buying and reparing a house, docter visits, medicen, and to top it off a long drive, no boat, that willie, usses expesiv rods and cheap reels below the arch

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    maybe you could track down an old mitchel 300 or whatever they are. there are member that swear by them and i think their pretty cheep. my dad had an old mitchel that seemed to hold together.

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    forgot to mention that my cousin had an big cheep openface and i thought it was going to come apart when he reeled in a 30# blue:smile2: i do believe a smaller better quality openface would have done a better job. after that fish heck maybe with that fish too he was having trouble with the bail coming open:roll_eyes: look closely before you buy.

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Slikk are you talking about a closed face reel? Like a Zebco 808. If so don't waste your money. Those little teethlike things that stick out the side of the spool that turn your line round and round will get ripped off if your lucky enough to hook into a prize fish. Use your Abu's and find a spot on the bank with good water where you don't need to cast out far. Look for slow current and depth. You will need plenty of lead. Most of the spots that I fish need 8 oz. minumum.

12. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm a little confused here..... In reading your previous posts you had switched from Abu's to Penn's because the Penn's were the best reels...... Now you are thinking about spincasters?

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    for cating disance, baitcasters dont cast as well baitcasters are better

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Why not just buy a descent reel made for big fish, you don't have to go broke doing it, and they ALL will last if ya take care of them...

Beside, I truly don't get this LONG casting thing that several folks are all hung up on, there is no need to cast 100 yards to catch quality fish any where I have ever fished anyway......

15. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I dont understand the long casts either most of the places I fish for flatheads I could use a canepole but the drag doesn't work too well on them.:smile2: So I use a 14 ft.rod instead.

16. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would buy a good reel from jump street, like a Abu or a Penn.

17. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee