Cheap or expensive swivels?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Nov 7, 2008.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    IM LOOKING AT 144 1/0 BLACK CRANE SWIVEL $10.30 ( FROM EAGLE CLAW )(EBAY)

THESE ARENT BALLBEARING SWIVELS BUT I HAVENT REALLY HAD A PROBLEM WITH SWIVELS OR ANYTHING

ANYONE USED THESE ???

LeRoy

2. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i haven't used them,but don't scrimp on tackle cause sooner or later you will be sorry it doesnt make since to buy good poles reels line hooks then use cheap swevels:roll_eyes:

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i use the walmart el-cheepo barel swivels i think the 1/0 size and have yet to reel one in in pieces. ive bent a couple eyes when using 65# power pro but i dont think i have with 40# mono. pretty good chance of the line breaking first.

4. Bambu

Bambu New Member

State:
    S.C.
    when i can find them i prefer crane over barrell, its a cleaner swivel nothing for line to catch on. as far as size its like the other post use big enough swivels that the line would break first, just my 2 cents

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Removed Link To Ebay

6. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Swivels are one thing I am cheap about. I use the laker ones from Wal MArt. I use the 1/0-3/0 sizes. I have never had a problem with them. I do have some more expensive ones,but I think they all work the same.

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    A few years ago we did break tests on 4 or 5 types of 2/0 swivels and the lightest break was 112lbs and some went over 130lbs.

8. foreverman

foreverman New Member

State:
    va
    Well any spro I am a shark fisherman and i have never broak them i broak 500 braid on a 300 swivle.

9. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Frist of all,
    Welcome Foreverman to the BOC/SOC from So. Alabama

Now on the termail tackle Some times on E-bay they sell seconds you have to watch and now your seller just my 2 cents

10. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    In the past I have had the cheaper ones break on me. I now buy the ones that have a rating on them. I use from 50 lb. to 90 and I have never had a problem since. Like the other post said you will want to make sure they aren't seconds.

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I use and like the spro power swivels. The true test of a good swivel is not that it will break but will it turn under a load. You will be hard pressed to break most swivels but the cheap ones will not turn freely under pressure.

12. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i prefer crane swivels over barrells. i use billfisher swivels size 5 rated to 75lbs 36 for 3.50 and when i can find them spro power swivels size 4 rated to 130lbs 50 for 9 dollars.

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I tie my line directly to my hook, after I've tun it through the eye of a swivel, use a pinch weight to adjust my leader, then off the snap part of the swivel I usually hook up a sacrifice weight of some sort,, usually with light line, or a slender rubberband... to whatever weight I'm using, 2-6 oz, bank weight, or flat cast weights with a large hole in them , makes it easy to get the rubberband through. sometimes, I use sparkplugs for weights, and put the line or rubberband through the "gap" and close it,,

Swivels are not an issue with my fishin':wink:
    the seconds/ or e-bay stuff works just fine and cheaply

14. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    snagged2 i run a simmilar rig with my banksinkers except i use a swivel and leader instead of a spitshot, i dont like pinching my line. i pre made some sinker slides using 1/0 snapswivels and an inch of aqurium air hose then i run them on my main line and tie on my barrel swivel and leader then i put a 4" ziptie on my bank sinker and hook the snapswivel to the ziptie. the zipties break before my 40# mainline i thought the snap would come undone even though i pinch i shut but the zipties have always broke when snagged not easly probally at 15-25#

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea,
    i just use the pinch weight to keep the swivel from getting to the hook. Depending on current and friskyness of the baitfish. Usually 10-18". I don't really mash it on too tightly, as I can move it up and down the line fairly easily, the swivel is above the pinch weight, then I tie the weight stuff onto the "floating swivel". I have to cast fairly smoothly or the weight and all will end up down on the hook, when a fish takes the bait the line feeds through the eye of the floating swivel. It all works pretty good, and if the weight gets hung up, it's gone as planned!!. Then if I lose the weight or not, I'm kinda 1 to 1 with the fish so to speak,,,I had problems years ago with flattening out swivels and breaking, so I started tieing the hook on directly and the problem was solved..I agree the pinch weight is the weak spot, but, i don't really crush it...sometimes, I may use several in sequence so I don't have to crush my main line...Plus, I only tie one knot!! I use 30-50# mono, and 50-80# braid and they seem to work OK..

If I was gonna use swivels, I'd get some pretty high test ones, and rig those up. I didn't know about the heavy duty ones 25 years ago!! I just don't trust the "cheap" units. for serious rigging,,,..

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My preference is to use a Crane swivel also . BillFisher size 7 is the 75 lb. test ; ) They are small and strong . I like the low profile of them and they are black .

-Jim-

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There's no denying that you can't go wrong with good quality (expensive) swivels, IF you can afford them. I generally use cheap swivels, but large ones that have plenty of strength. I've had a 12/0 shark hook straightened out on a trotline, and the large cheap swivel attaching the dropper didn't offer to give way. Why was I using shark hooks? I had them, and I was using large live bream for bait.

18. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    I have modified my rigging a couple of times, Fishing with Greg[snagged 2] a couple of times i started with the braid directly to my main line. The splitshot idea works but i may try small plastic tie idea. The best place for a cheap swivel is making a 12" long leader with your weight being able to connect your swivel above slipshot. Basically creating your weak link on your weight. There is the thought of line twist without a swivel but it has not been a problem yet.It is all about trying new rigs until you settle on what works for the individual circumstances.

19. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use 20 lb mono and have never had a problem with swivels. I use the largest and stongest I can find locally. If you have the opportunity to get some really good ones.....I would go for it.

20. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Don't buy ANYTHING "cheap" to catfish with, unless you are targeting small fish. You may have a failure when you least expect it, on your "catch of a lifetime" fish. I lost a HEAP of "catch of a lifetime" fish before I learned. :wink:

Bill in SC