Cheap Non-Skid Surface

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Shootandfish1, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hello-Found this site by accident while reseaching jon boats. Great place. I'm going to need a lot of help with the jon boat. The admin. says that I have to post 10 times before i can view pictures so i am going post several times quickly.

My jon boat ?'s post will be long but I wanted to share this first.

Been reading about flooring jon boats with wood.

Several years ago i had to build a handicap ramp for our front door as my wife has a hard time using steps. I used pressure treated wood knowing I had figure out a way so that the planks would not be slick when wet. After looking at buying stick-on strips, I had a better idea.

I painted the lumber with 'Klitz'. Klitz is a combination sealer and primer rated for outdoor use. After one coat I mixed the Klitz with 'play sand' that Lowes carries. Play sand is clean and dry. Seem like I used 2 parts klitz to 1 part sand by volume. Using a wore-out brush I applied this mix to the wood. Brushing as you normally paint didn't work-you have to dab it on. I was able to apply a consistent layer about 1/16 in. thick.

For a boat, I would use Thompsons first. The Klitz and sand mix looked good has held up excellent under foot traffic. I done this about 6-7 years ago and I believe that I will have to replaced the ramp before I need to redo my homemade mix.

Hope this helps someone-Fred

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe you would get an adverse chemical reaction between treated wood and aluminum. Seems as though if the purpose was to deaden sound, it would work just to get some rubber "welcome" mats and put them on the floor. Better than having small pinholes throughout the hull.

If a person was looking for a no-slip surface on a porch or dock, your idea would work very well. I think you have to replace the sand/paint as needed to keep it safe.

AND, welcome to the B.O.C. You will probably find your hunt for information on your jon boat has turned up a site which will soon become addicted.

3. Shootandfish1

Shootandfish1 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I understand about the chemical reaction. My homemade mix should be fine for regular wood or marine grade plywood. My intention was to point out the adhesive qualities of kiltz.