Cheap nets stink.

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by gearhead, Jan 16, 2008.

1. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Surly im not the only one that likes the nicer more exspensive nets. I have the wal-mart el cheapo's but I love my big old salts. Catching bait is the most important part of every one of my trips or tournaments all the rods and reels and teminal tackle and fish finders and boats and so own dosen't matter one bit if you don't have good quality bait for that day thats where it starts.So the cast net to me is very important . I can't be the only one.All anyone talks about is the cheap wally world nets . I can't be the only dumby that buys $80.00 nets.:tounge_out:

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Now that I am older I got rid of all my heavy nets.Where I net shad is normally less than 10 ft deep, so a fast sinking deep water net is not needed.

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i also use a good net.. the cheap nets rip wayyyy to easy .. my $50 net has lasted a long time and i like the bigger diameter....

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    sorry fellas. after loosing a $40 net the $20 ones worked fine. i get all the shad i need in just a few well placed throws. i believe its all about how good you are with them.

nothing against the bigger more expensive ones but i tossed a brand new net out once over a 1000 lb or so hunk of something. well i was glad it was a $20 one. aint no betts salt bringing up a 500lb rip rap hunk. jmo.:wink:
    when i got into catfishing i was paying $40 for a nylon net. i was greatful for the $20 ones.

i have 6 empty plastic containres full of sinkers that were a shad net box. at $20 each thats $120.00. aint no tourny worth loosing that many $80 ones.

i lost 3 in 2006 i was lucky last year with one that i mended 3-4 times with 50lb line.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have had a few old salt nets, and they are better than the cheapos for sure...But I go threw appx 12 a year, so I have to stay with the cheapies.

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I go thru a couple a season,I have restrung and tied nets to get by so giong the cheap way is fine fer me.I rarley need a big net, a 4ft one and Its all good.I have a place that is reliable and can get bait most anytime......

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I go through a lot of nets...they're almost as expendable as hooks...so I buy small and cheap.

I keep a netting needle (Memphis Net and Twine) loaded with small twine in my tackle box for keeping my nets patched together.

8. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Where are yalls nets going??? I have 2 nets a 4' and 8' Ive had them 2 years I have one little tear in my little net, havnt bothered to fix it. I let mine go way down but I dont let it lay on bottom. I am concidering going back and getting a 1/2 mesh net and try to cut down on the minnows I catch, they make a mess on the floor of boat.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I just bought a nice $60 7 foot net, but will be careful about where I use it. Most of the time I'll still use a cheapie $20 4 footer. As far as where they go... rocks, submerged tree trunks, cables.... every time you go to try a new place, or even an old place after a flood, you don't know what you will find down there.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I bought a 50 doller net once and lost it on the first throw, talk about heartbreaking, All I got back was the Brail lines:smile2:

11. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    All I have ever used is the cheap nets from 2.5 ft. up to 10 footers.. I have never seen or had the opurtunity to throw one of the more expensive salt nets. What is the difference between the cheap nets and the high dollar nets? Are they easier to throw? Do they sink faster? I've thought about buying one of the 8 footers just would like to know what the difference is and is it sure enough worth the extra expense.

12. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm using the $20 net also, the 5' foot one. Its my first net so I wasnt about to buy a better one in fear of it getting hung up. I use mind off shore so I get snagged more than if I were in a boat. In a boat you pull straight up, off shore your net comes in on a angle...more snags.

Ive never used a high dollar one and I prolly wont because I throw mine just as good as any. So for now it's the el chepo net for me.

-Jim-

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Johnny, They tend to be bigger, with more weight and a larger mesh. The idea is that they open better and sink faster... I've always managed with a smaller net, but last year it was hard to ignore that my buddy was catching 2-3 times more bait than me by using a 6' net as compared to my 4' one. His wasn't a high end net by any means, but just the bigger size was making a huge difference.

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That's gotta hurt. I lost a $20 net the first day once, and that was bad enough.

15. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have had many good and bad but I gotta say when you make a throw and it hooks on a rock and you can't get it back it hurts so I have been going with the cheap ones lately.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I lost 6 nets in less than 2 months last winter. I've lost nets on the first throw and I've used the same net for 6 months straight. Sometimes it's like that.

I currently use the Lee Fisher "Bait Buster" nets and really really really like them - they're high-dollar, about $90 each, but the net is far stronger than the cheaper Fitec nets I used previously and has hauled in a lot of big heavy stuff that would have shredded the cheap nets.

The best way to keep from losing a net is to have a backup and a reserve backup in the boat with you. When you're down to your last net, you're almost certain to get it hung up.... :roll_eyes:

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    exact same here. backed the boat in un hooked and was ready to go fish. tossed out my new $20.00 net and first few throws i landed it over something huge. brought in tow lines. re hooked the boat mad as hell and pulled out and forgot to raise motor. bang, bang, as i drove off, madder still i went to town 9 miles and got a new $20 net and went back. this time stayed away from the submerged ??????????/ and went fishing.:cool2:

18. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They way I throw a net right now, it could be a $20 net or a $2000 net - the end result would be the same. :embarassed:

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Altho I like using the best I can get,This is one where I just co cheap,In my experience ,the expensive ones hang up and are lost as easily as the cheap ones,and besides no matter how good ,I just cant seem to throw any net larger than a 4'radius,maybe cause I'm only 5'7:tounge_out:

20. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I think in this case expensive is good but, not wise. Throwing a 80.00 dollar net here on the ohio river would be nuts. There are more snags that you can throw a stick at (and most of them have castnets hung on them, LOL)!
    I just wish that I had the kind money that it would take to keep an 80.00 net in the boat at all times.
    I went fish'n with a guy about 2 years ago that had one of those fancy high dollar nets. I asked him if he had one cause I was gonna bring mine but he said he had a good one in the boat. We got to where the shad were and I volunteered to throw the net. He told me "Na, I'll do it" I told him not to throw it in that area cause there were some pretty good snags there. So he got it out of his fancy box and threw it out"never to return". Well we proceeded back to my truck and got my net and caught some shad and went fishing. If I loose a 20.00 net it can be replaced pretty quick and for 80.00 I can replace four nets that would cost you 320.00.
    When netting in prime conditions, yes those are great nets because they are safe but, we don't have that luxury here in this area.