Cheap Jugs From Buoy Markers

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by JERMSQUIRM, Sep 16, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    The Wal-Mart here in Lincoln is clearing off fishing gear. Their $6 marker buoys were $1. I got several.

Here's how I turned them into a jug. First picture is what I'm talking about.

Then I took a 1/4" flathead screw and a strong snap swivel and screwed into the end on one side. Like in second picture.

Then I cut about 20" above the lead weight on main line. Melted the line with my little torch to prevent fraying in line. I tied in a strong barrel swivel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then tied on a 15" leader of 40 lb Cajun Red line to top of swivel and circle hook to the line.

This picture shows how I'll set them. Drop in weight and baited line. When the weight hits bottom, wind up the line until it's at water level. Snap main line into the swivel and drop in. When a fish is on the buoy it will stand on it's end as it pulls.

[​IMG]

Seems they'll store up good too. I just wrapped the line and leader up tight and the lead weight bends over it holding it all in place.

[​IMG]

I got them made. I won the Jugs by Bert contest thanks to Mighty Thorr and with 2 of them I wanted to add a few more to them for the test I want to run. And these will be it.

I plan on adding a little silicone over the screw to avoid water getting in these.

[​IMG]