cheap jugs from bouy marker

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by JERMSQUIRM, Sep 16, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the wally here in lincoln is clearencing off fishing gear. there $6 marker bouys were $1. i got several.

heres how i turned them into a jug. first pic is what im talking about.

then i took a 1/4" flathead screw and a strong snap swivel and screwed into the end on one side. like in second pic.

then i cut about 20" above the lead weight on main line. melted the line with my lil torch to prevent freying in line. i tied in a strong barrel swivel.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    then tied on a 15" leader of 40 lb cajun red line to top of swivel and circle hook to the line.

this pic shows how ill set them. drop in weight and baited line. when weight hits bottom wind up the line until its at water level. snap main line into the swivel and drop in. when a fish is on the bouy will stand on end as it pulls.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    seems thell store up good too. i just wrapped the line and leader up tight and the lead weight bends over it holding it all in place.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    got them made. i won the jugs by bert contest thanks to mighty thorr. and with 2 of them i wanted to add somethig to them for the test i want to run. and these will be it.

i plan on adding a little silicone over the screw to avoid water getting in these.

5. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Good idea. Would make a heck of a nice jug.

6. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Great idea Jeremy! Thanks for posting!!

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the heads up on the sale. I guess Wal_mart is clearing out there summer sporting line for the fall line. Good time for deals!!

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeremy you found a great buy. I have used them over the years as marker buoys. I have found them to leak in the seams. If you pick one up and here water inside, start checking the seams. Great idea on using as jugs. Looks like a good job.

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    good idea jeremy

10. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    hey they aint to small

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jeremy,
    Your the man, great idle and what a bargen

12. FATBOY DAN

FATBOY DAN New Member

State:
    West T= IN.
    They do make great jug as their eazy to store & just toss them out & they unwine their self, the the ones ive been useing have a holder for 3,Ive use mine from way back when i first uploaded videos back in 07,think thats what got me to where im @ today & i still use them to this day. heres what it looks like. & you cansee them work if you know where to find my videos on youtube
    Click pic to see bigger jug.jpg