Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Cheap Imitation Cut Bait that works

7K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  SCUBACATFISHMAN 
#1 ·
I picked up a cheap pack of boneless chicken breast and cut them into “trout filet” sized chunks. I put them in a large ziplock and poured menhaden oil on them. Left it out for a day a half and took it fishing. When I didn’t get hung in the grass I was reeeling in fat blues, fished this bait side by side with garlic powder chicken cut same way and every fish was caught on the oil soaked chicken. Paired with a 10/0 MadCatter hook and 6oz sliding sinker

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I'm apologizing ahead of time for my comment. I don't want it to be taken in a mean spirit. I keep coming back to this post, and wondering. Why use expensive chicken and menhaden oil when you can catch your bait for almost free. Worms only cost a couple bucks. And you are catching fish as you catch your bait. Its always fresh. An abundant supply. It's a win win situation. JMO

#6 ·
Worms and a cork are the way to go around here in the summer to catch bluegill and that’s all I do spring -fall but once it gets cold here the bluegill almost disappear. And shad are only here feb-march, gizzard shad are hard to come by unless I ride 2 hours to a big reservoir to throw the net. Having something easy to get and really isn’t that expensive to just go one night after work or just having as back up if I don’t have as many bluegill I need helps.

#17 ·
I picked up a cheap pack of boneless chicken breast...
Where do you find cheap boneless breasts? o_O Your idea got me to thinking that since shad are getting harder to come by in the cooler weather, maybe I'd grab a large pkg. of thighs and soak 'em in that oil. They'd be the right size for the blues I target and I found that oil at WalMart for $6 instead of the $15 that Ebay wants.

#19 ·
Where do you find cheap boneless breasts? o_O Your idea got me to thinking that since shad are getting harder to come by in the cooler weather, maybe I'd grab a large pkg. of thighs and soak 'em in that oil. They'd be the right size for the blues I target and I found that oil at WalMart for $6 instead of the $15 that Ebay wants.
I found the non name brand chicken breast at Walmart. The Tyson and Sanderson Farms cost a lot more

#27 ·
I'm apologizing ahead of time for my comment. I don't want it to be taken in a mean spirit. I keep coming back to this post, and wondering. Why use expensive chicken and menhaden oil when you can catch your bait for almost free. Worms only cost a couple bucks. And you are catching fish as you catch your bait. Its always fresh. An abundant supply. It's a win win situation. JMO
Sometimes we can't catch bait. Catching bream can be a real pain sometimes. I would rather use a fillet cut of chicken and bust a blue while I try to catch bait. I would prefer to catch herring but I can throw a net worth crap so I catch bait to fish with. I would gladly use a breast of chicken soaked in oil while I try to catch better. I've begged for bream to bite while trying to catch anything to cut

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.