Cheap gear

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Whiskerwhacker, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    If anyone is interested, both Wal-marts around us have live bait rod/reel combos on clearance. It is a 6'6" Rhino rod with a "titanium" Zebco 733 (baitclicker) spooled with 20# mono. Friday they were down to $15 from $40. I picked up a couple for kids, friends, whatever. It will be a fine rig for channels, especially since I won't have to try to show a beginner how to cast a baitcaster. Seeings how I just learned last year myself, that will be a good thing. I don't mind picking my own bird's nests, just not everyone's in the boat! Anyhow, if anyone is interested.... go to Walmart. Keep me posted on the sucker run, I definitely want in at some point. Hope everyone is staying on top of the winter blues. Talk at ya later.

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    That certainly sounds like a good buy. I just don't know what my wife would say if I come home with another rod & reel. I was just out in my garage, an counted 18 rod & reel combo's, not to mention five fly rods I have and the rod & reel I keep behind the seat in my truck. But, on the other hand, man can not have too many fishing poles.
    Yea, I'm fighting the winter blues OK. I figure, every day that goes by and I don't read my name in the paper with all those dead people, is just one day closer to Spring.
    Sparky

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Thanks for the heads up, I just picked up a salt water combo orig 59.99 for 35.00 great deal

4. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    Another tid bit on the cheap gear front. I just scored some fenwick graphite baitcasting rods at walmart for $9.00 ea. They were marked down from $49.99. I got 3in 7'10" M power that telescope into the handle for locker storage. They shorten up by about 16" or so. I also got a 7' in MH one piece. I heard it over the intercom as I was loading the conveyor in line. I put all my stuff back in the cart and went to the SG Dept. They were tagging them as I got there. I bought all they had and sold 2 to a friend from church and kept 2 for myself. Anyway, if you are in the neighborhood, might be worth checkin' out. They also had graphite spinning rods for $5.00ea. but I didn't get any. Should make a fun ,but strong channel cat rod.

5. Angler Management

Angler Management New Member

State:
    Michigan
    You do know that the Harmonator's $9.99 Rhino special is still gonna outfish yer new prettified gear? By the way, if I hear any more about stink bait or the technical merits of circle hooks before I put away my shanty... You really need a winter hobby (and you didn't hear that from me, in case your wife asks).

6. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    That's OK whoever you are. If my face was as ugly as I suspect yours is I would put a fishing reel up as my avatar as well. Just kidding, welcome to the club bro!

7. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste

Uh Oh, there goes the neighborhood.
    Must be huntings over and the ice is rotten...

8. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Welcome to the neighbnorhood. Keep your whiskers to yourself. By the way, there are two thiings that you are never late for; church and fishing..

Dru

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey

10. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Oh foot I can`t find any deals around here:sad2:

11. Angler Management

Angler Management New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Boy Tony, ya hit it right on the head. Just got off the Saginaw River last night in what will probably be my last hard water trip for the bigger stuff (unless the ice holds up). I swear I was fishin' for cats, you know, the yellow ones with the big 'eyes.

Ice is getting iffy so better start rigging the old tub and packing the bearings. As for Mr. Whiskers, I was going to put up a picture of a nice catfish but I didn't want you to get jealous. You know, what with the anise incident last year... It's a short "A".

Looks like I may have a new cat boat this year. Looking at a 17" Bass Tracker. May not be ideal for whisker chasing but it'd be better than the old tub. It's also got a 35hp merc so Tony won't have to wait for me this year.

Gabe

12. Whiskerwhacker

State:
    Michigan
    I hope you remember to keep oil and other necessities in that new motorvator or it may end up running like your current ride. That way I can quit using aaaanise. The only reason I use it now is to mask the gas smell on my hands after I am done wrenching on the motor half way to wherever we wanted to be. Just messin' . Keep me in mind if your old tub needs a new home.