Cheap & easy strike indicators

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by sherdan, Jul 12, 2006.

1. sherdan

sherdan New Member

State:
    Lebanon, Missouri
    This was an idea given to me by my wife. Glow sticks, you can get them at wally world or most dollar stores. You get 10 to 15 in a package along with some electrical tape(black tape for us hillbillies) and you're set. Lay your glow sticks along the back side of your rod extending just a little past the top eye. Tape the bottom of the stick and then again about 2" below the top eye. They work great, will last all night and don't need a lantern drawing bugs while you wait for that big ole blue to bite!

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Welcome to the BOC brother, that is exactly the same thing that I do.

3. sherdan

sherdan New Member

State:
    Lebanon, Missouri
    Thanks, they work great don't they

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been doing that fow awhile, it does work great..One of our sponsers main wolf products sells the glowsitcks

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Next time you buy Glow Sticks, Try looking at Maine-Wolf.. They are a long time sponsor here and sell the glow sticks by the 100 :big_smile:

6. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i put them in or on bobbers when fishing off the bottom at night

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jack ,why are you guys doing that.You are skunked so often you should tape a picture of a catfish to the end of your rod.Save money for a trip down here to Santee!:big_smile: :lol: :roll_eyes: :smile2: :eek:oooh:

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I have a tube of 100 of the eight inch ones, that I use. I take one and run it between my line and rod, inbetween the first eye and the second eye, not the tip, then make a bracelet, I cast them out this way and reel them in and no problems what so ever. They wouldn't work this way on a spinning combo but work fine on my baitcaster rods.

9. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    this is the way i do it as well, and you can do it on your floats if your using em, and welcome to the BOC brother

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    You can pick up a bag of those brace rubberbands (the small ones). Put them on the rod wherever you want to put the glowstick before you run your line through the eyes. Put several and then you can just slide your glowstick between the rubber band and the rod. Salomonid showed me this at the GMR gathering last month.

11. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i started doing that....

a few weeks ago...

just tape a glowstick like between the top and second to top guide...

always works for me..

but it does make u run faster... cause this one night i was fishing and my rod was in a rod holder and it had bells and the glow stick that rod was almost touching the water..... that was the fastest i have ever ran in my life.....

oh yeah the bells and the glowsticks are a PERFECT combo for tightlining at night...

Jeff

12. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Yeah that works the best at night but in the day or night i guess and ur lazy and falling asleep or something which i do if the bite is really slow then if ur using corn while fishing take the top and bend it in a V shape be careful to not cut yourself then put the V corn lid on your pole and when a fish hits it will knock the V lid off. just my 2 cents i like the glowstick idea better though.

13. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Yeah if you shop in the kids section you can usually find them cheaper than in the fishing section case in point, was in the fishing section at a local retailer and they had 3 of the 1 1/2 inch glow sticks for like $3.25 then I saw in the holiday/novelty section 20 8 inchers in a tube for like $1.75 what would you buy? The 8 inchers were better because they have a varity of colors, if you wanted to mark specific poles or whatever.

Aaron

TA2D

14. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I have some glow sticks and just waiting to try them out. I have not been doing that much night fishing lately