Cheap & Easy Portable Live Well

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by hillbillyken, Jun 17, 2009.

1. hillbillyken

hillbillyken New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was needing a live well one day and didn't have the money to buy one so I started looking around the house to see what I could find to make one and came up with this idea. Its nothing fancy put it works for me and hopefully you to.
    Items need:
    1. Tidy cat litter bucket (I'm sure you could use any old bucket but I like the flip top so I can easily open and close it and it keeps water and fish in.)
    2. knife or drill
    3. Aquarium stone with hose (you can pick these up at Walmart or pet shops cheap)
    4. split shot and twin
    5. Tire air pump (I stoled the wife out of her van but you can get these at garage sale etc. for near to nothing)
    [​IMG]
    STEP 1: Taking your knife or drill, make a hole ensure that the hole will be smaller then the tube. you are going to want the tube to fit tight.
    [​IMG]
    STEP 2: Take your tubing, aquarium stone, split shot and twin. I add the split shot and to the tube so I could control the amount of air going into the water. If I wanted more are in the water i would put the split shot closer to the stone which made more bubbles for like bullheads and blue gills for catfish bait, if I had minnows then I would pull the shot back so the stone floated on the top of the water. I didn't want the rough bubbling action killing the minnows.
    [​IMG]
    picture of split shot attached
    [​IMG]

STEP3: Pull the tubbing through the hole remember you want a tight fit so your tube isn't falling through the hole
    [​IMG]

STEP4: Take your tube and put it into the receiver of the tire pump. where you would normally put the stem if you were filling up a tire.

[​IMG]
    STEP5: Flip the lever on the pump to hold the tubing in place, it hold quite firmly and does not come out easily.

[​IMG]
    Step 6: The end product, The cord is long enough where I can run it through my back window and into my lighter. I have also used it for hours with out it running down my battery
    [​IMG]
    I hope you give this a try and find out just how useful it can be....Thanx and good luck fishing

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Thats a pretty good idea.
    I use a plastic cooler in the boat. Its sort of portable. I have 2 bubblers.
    1 runs off a couple of D cell batteries and the other is a fish aquarium bubbler.
    Years ago I used a Wal Mart 12 volt bubbler. It --actually they-- only lasted a couple of weeks.

Have a good 1
    just

3. bigfoot914

bigfoot914 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    that is a great idea thanks i am always looking for ways to save a little money

4. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Good idea Ken,and welcome to the BOC brother,i have a cooler on wheels that me and my son-in-law made(he donated the cooler) and made a good bait cooler with a sprayer in the bottom on a toggle switch hooked to a 12v battery(extra)it works great,but i made a bait barrel out of a plastic 55 gal drum with a 40 gal inside spray foamed between the two and mounted it in the pontoon,pump on a toggle switch and a 4in. led light inside for night fishin,they both work great..