Cheap Durable Castnets

Discussion in 'Castnet(s)' started by Catfish_Scooter, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can anyone give me some directions as to where I could find some good low price castnets? And just a few tips on how to cast em? This would be my first time using one. Thanks for any feedback.. AJ:wink:

2. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have bought a few castnets and they all pretty much perform the same. So your walmart brand one will work just fine for ya. Good luck

4. lou_a

lou_a Member

State:
    Texas
    Unfortunately the terms "castnet", "cheap", and "durable" don't seem to go together.

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Wally world has a net with a ring in it..makes it so much easier to throw than ones with no ring...you can learn to throw these within minutes and you dont have to hold part of it in you mouth...yuk!!

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know their not cheap, I was just leaning toward finding the best price.:wink:

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    walmart has them about as cheap as anywhere the size you buy will effect your price and toss. if you've never thrown one get one you can handle don't get the biggest they make. then i would watch the video that is posted on page one. good luck.

8. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    several video's out on how to trow 1 Aj...look on the net..check out the BOC library....start with a small net 5ft or less I seen wal-mart has some on clearance yesterday....I dont care for them but for beginners there ok ...I prefer a "Bettes" brand net we throw 8fters down this way:eek:oooh::tounge_out::wink: no need messing around:wink: but mow down a spot in the yard and practice throwing until you get to where it opens up for ya....it wont hurt the net......and you wont lose it either:wink: it's not hard as ya think...:cool2:

9. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Catman, throwing a net is kinda like using a baitcaster reel, if you're not willing to practice with it you're not gonna be able to throw it. Match the size of the net to where you're gonna use it and the smallest size thet will do the job for you is the one to buy. I use a 4ft ,gives me a 8ft Dia, and I can throw it with either hand-right or left. I got 5 gal of very small shad last week down at Kaw Lake in Oklahoma and probably threw the net 40 or 50 times- OK, so what, I was having more fun throwing than I was fishing! I brought them home and mixed them in some Sonnys and now have 10 gal of the best Stink Bait available. Go to the member Library and read the articles on cast nets. Good Luck and buy the cheapest net you can find..!! Wally World?------------------- BIG SAM above has the right Idea

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  10. bullfish

bullfish Member

State:
    dunkirk ohio
    i got one 3.5 foot at wally world for 17 bucks

11. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    AJ, my advice would be to buy two, I lost 4 the first year I used a castnet.

12. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    I got mine from wal-mart its a renegade it comes with carrying case and instructions It took me about 5 minutes in the yard :wink:

13. Kitty Catcher

Kitty Catcher New Member

State:
    GA
    What size mesh does the wally net have?

14. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have a net from wally world and i thinks its 3/8 mesh but not sure

15. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Walmart at 22 bucks just bought another one two days ago. Yes 3/8 netting.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  16. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    This guy knows what he is talking about. Was giving lessons at the Mo. gathering this year and taught several people how to throw them!! :wink: How ya been buddy?

17. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    There pretty easy with a little practice when I first tried mine bI went down to the coast I tossed it out couple times just kinda warming up all of a sudden I spotted a school of finger mullets I tossed my net right over them, and bam the net was full i got me a good bucket full and off I went oh yeah finger mullet make excellent cat bait dead or alive when used in the river:wink:

18. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Bluejay, I'm fine except I still got marks from all the TICKS. have you heard from Ron & Wanda Barner? I sure enjoyed the Mo Gathering and sure met a lot of great folks.

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    AJ make sure ya have lead weights and not the coveredmetal ones when purchasin a net...the non lead doesnt sink as fast

20. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    My Wally Word net is the 5' with the 1/2 mesh....lead weights too....I don't like the ceramic ones either.