cheap bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by drkrobotnik, Sep 8, 2008.

1. drkrobotnik

drkrobotnik New Member

State:
    texas
    hey everyone new to the forums here wanna say whats up. i'm at a&m and i live in bryan originally from belton.

anyways, my question is does anyone know of any cheap baits that work well?

using chicken liver in ponds is fine, but when i'm on the river or the lake i dont have any luck. i dont have a lot of disposable income so i was wondering if anyone has any good ideas?

so does anyone know something cheap that works better than chicken liver for catfish?

also, does anyone live around here that wants to go fishing? i'm free on the evenings/afternoons and weekends (unless there is a football game, of course) and ready to learn.

2. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    hey there welcome to the club i would advise buying a throw net or cast net whatever you wanna call it and catch shad and gills in it to use for bait those work wonders hope this helps and good luck fishing

3. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Welcome to da HOOD!!! from Arkansas!!!! try some secret "7" it will bag fish like youve never seen...check out Teamcatfish.com:smile2:

4. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Try digging worms and grubs. Get a throw net or build a perch trap, instructions in the BOC library. Catch crawdads and grasshoppers. When I was a kid, we looked under rocks and used most anything that wiggled.

Jim

5. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome to the boc try hot dogs cut bait and im sher uthers will give you lots of ideas

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Get some large minnows. Thread them on a hook like a worm, starting at the mouth and bring the point/barb out at the tail fin. Good for blues, channels, crappie, and occasional bass. Freeze what you don't use in zip-lock bags for your nest trip.

7. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    I agree with catman a cast net is a good investment! Don't buy your bait at a bait shop, walmart has 2 dozen crawlers for 3$ there 4$ for 1 dozen at the bait shop! Same with shrimp , I get mine at the chineese supermarket for 3.49 a pound for large whole shrimp its 4$ a half pound at the bait shop. And also protect your investments keep your bait on ice so you can reuse it! I tried hot dogs and was not impressed, although if they work for you thats some cheep bait! I try to fish what works best, gas nowdays is the biggest expense not bait!! It also depend on what your fishing for, I'm thinking cats !!

8. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I always save and freeze the guts, heads, and any scraps when I clean a mess of fish. Check your local regs before doing.

9. drkrobotnik

drkrobotnik New Member

State:
    texas
    thanks everyone!

and you are right, gas is definitely the biggest expense.

i can get a pound of chicken liver for $1.00 at appletree so i've been doing that lately i'm definitely gonna see what i can do as far as getting a cast net or borrowing my dad's and look into perch traps.

thanks again and if anyone wants to go fishing, let me know.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Justin welcome to the BOC. A good reliable bait is shrimp soaked in garlic.

11. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Justin,
    Buy some cheep hot dogs and cut them the size you want and soak them in anything that stinks, garlic, sardine juice,jelly, fish guts, or all the above.

Keep them in a zip lock bag.

Hope this helps.

Oh Yea!....Welcome to the BOC.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have heard, for this locality, that the Bar S hot dogs are the ones to use. Problem is, I generally get so hungry I eat all my bait. LOL

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Catch A few bluegill or look under rocks for crawfish this time of year grasshoppers are good for channel cats

14. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Welcom to the BOC and hookem HORNS:smile2::smile2::smile2:lol

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ......that's zackly what i think; catch some bluegill and use them live and wiggly for the larger cats, or scrounge around for crawdads or grasshoppers or worms etc. for eating size channels.

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Cast net is #1 for sure. A 5' net will cost around $20.

My next way is to use a $2 Sabiki rig tipped with or without a worm. Most any fish out there will hit a sabiki rig ; )

Frozen is my last choice but I often have to use it. Now and then I will spend the day just catching bait and then freezing it for later use.

Fresh bait is the best if ya can. I sure understand where your coming from. I've got to cut all corners myself to be able to even get gas in my truck...g'luck

-Jim-

17. Fat Fred's Bro

Fat Fred's Bro New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't know if you can do this anymore.But when I was a kid my uncle use to take a 5 gallon bucket to a beef slaughter house and the workers would fill the buckets.The blood would clot and you could cut it into chunks.Works great on troplines or jug lines.

18. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    Thanks for reminding me Dave. I can't remember exactly but seems like when I was a kid we'd catch it in a coffee can at the locker plant and after it gelled do something to it. Seems like it involved slicing it like cranberry sauce, putting it in the sun and sprinkling it with something... hrmmm... was it salt or sugar to help it harden up a little. Also remember some hardware cloth involved. Maybe we were using that to cut the slices into cubes and then sprlinkling it with salt or something.

19. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    big are you thinking of cheese cloth to wrap it in so it stays on the hook better

20. jodster

jodster New Member

State:
    texas
    I heard of some people using salt or garlic salt or how about garlic powder??