Cheap Bait Tank/Bluegill soup

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by delbert bumbleshoot, Oct 4, 2008.

1. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I was trying to save money on a bait tank. Neighbor gave me a new trash can and I had a 1/2 horsepower sump pump in the basement I wasn't using.I figured I could make my own filter from material from a pet store.I spent $1.40 at Home depot on a female to male pvc connecter an elbow connector and a cap. I drilled holes on both sides of the sprayer pipe and rigged it up and plugged it in.Water sprayed in every direction , even up over the garage roof. I then realized I should have only drilled holes in the bottom of the pipe so the water would spray back into the tank not in every direction.I also realized that there was more current in the tank than below Truman dam when the gates are wide open.Since I being the genius I am had already glued the pipes together I had to run back to home depot and buy more pvc connectors and start over.I put it back together and rigged it back up.That night I went out to the same lake I had been catching bluegill at and had terrible luck. I only caught 3 bluegill in spite of moving all over the lake. So I brought them home and put them in my new tank. The next night when I came back to check on them I could see steam escaping from the tank as I walked up to it and it smelled like fish chowder.As I uncovered the tank escaping steam burned my hand. It smelled like cooked fish and the water was boiling slightly. Needless to say the bluegills were cooked into submission.You gotta be able to laugh at yourself.When I read the instructions on the sump it said danger not for continous use may overheat. Lucky I had it on a power strip and didn't burn my house down. Do not try this at home folks.

Attached Files:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    This could very well be the single best post of all time. LOL! THANX! Got my vote for the hall of fame.:big_smile:

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    get you one of these it doesnt heat the water
    [​IMG]

4. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    I was trying to save money. Next spring I'll buy a stock tank at tractor supply and get a real aeration/filtration system. That will be my winter project along with a utility trailer for my 2 man boat. Right now I'm running a 12 volt bilge pump and I have 2 extra deep cycles in my garage and a aquarium bubbler off a 55 gallon tank.As soon as it gets cold enough to freeze I'll drain it.

5. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    So, Eric, how did the fish broth taste? A little watery, I imagine...

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Maybe you could use the sump pump on a timer to heat it :smile2: Seriously though, for continuous use, look into the Pondmaster pumps. They run forever, and will save enough electricity to pay for themselves within a couple of seasons when compared to other pond pumps or bilge pumps. I've used one of the Pondmaster Mag Drive 2 pumps (~$60) for several years now with no problems.

7. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    its an easy enough mistake to make using the sump pump but when i got to the bluegill soup now that made me laugh made my day reading your post thanks for posting that story

8. handsomejack

handsomejack New Member

State:
    Ilinois
    Sure glad you shared that, I really needed a laugh.
    Throw some potatos in and ya got a giant slow cooker.
    Handsomejack

9. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Mr. myers you are the greatest fer posting that fi-as-co... I think I wouldda just taken the whole thing to the dump and never said a word...Reps to ya brother fer trying....I know it'll come out right in the long run cause I been in the same shoes...May I suggest 4 years at MIT.... Have a great day..............:big_smile:

10. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Hey Gary where do I get a pondmaster pump locally? Things haven't been going so well lately.I haven't been able to go fishing in 2 weeks and I'm about to lose my best fishing partner. My father is still in the ICU and seems to be getting worse.He has a breathing tube and is sedated and restrained.My mom was there today and he went started coughing and having trouble breathing.All the alarms started going off several nurses came in and they made her leave. He ended up code blue but they stabilized him. He's ok for now.Prayers are in order.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Eric,

Sorry to hear that, I'm praying for your father. I last my dad last year and it was pretty rough.

I got my Pondmaster at Waldo Pets on Wornall Rd.

12. delbert bumbleshoot

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Thank you Gary all-knowing all-seeing potentate of the BOC Clan. Have you been to the Ohio River yet? I'll be interested to hear your story.

13. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Well Eric next time we head out, I know who is making lunch now.