Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Cheap and easy fix for glowstik!

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  MBcatmaster 
#1 ·
The problem with the glowstik is that everything but the tip lights up, so I toyed with the idea of running a peice of fibre optic up to the tip, but here's a cheaper way. What I did was basically make a cable out of about 10 strands of trilene big cat line; I taped the strands together, and ran the cable from the light at the end of the ferrule to the tip of the rod. Seems to work pretty good!

#2 ·
Heres what I did in a bit more detail.
-Measure the rod tip to ferrule.
-cut about 10-20 strands of big cat line, a bit longer than the the first measurement.
-Using clear tape, tape the strands together putting a band of tape about every 6-8".
-Now take the "cable" of big cat line and slide it down to your rod tip.
-The cable is a bit longer than the rod section to allow some coil up inside the blank and still make it to the tip.
-I'm still working on a way to keep the cable from sliding out when the rod is apart, but when the rod is together it's fine.
Hope this helps!

#5 ·
I've been inspired. TY!

#10 ·
Well I like the rods but when I have had a few bigger fish on one of mine well It felt like it was going to fall apart. I had about a 50 lb striper on and the reel and handle started twisting on me. So I don't know whats going to happen to it. If it breaks I will have to have a talk with berkly I guess.

#12 ·
I work for the local cable company. Im trying to get some scrap fiber optic lines to use on my rods.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.