Cheap anchors

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Salthart, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A number of years ago I bought a brand new mushroom anchor, went to the lake and got it stuck. I grabbed hold of the line and gave a big pull and the man with me started screaming your gonna sink us ! I looked and I had pulled the corner of the boat under. We were in 40 feet of water and I wasn't about to try and swim for it so there was not a thing to do but cut the line and leave it..

I no longer buy anchors. I have found a cheep replacement that IMO works better. I go to the local scrap metal yard with tool box in hand and remove the flywheels off riding lawn mower engines. Take them home and put an "I" bolt, a washer and a nylon lock nut on em.

Works far far better than the mushrooms ever did and at no real cost.

BTW, I use only a single nut on the "I" bolt because I like the bolt to point to the boat and not stand up straight so its harder for the wind and boat wakes to break the seal.

2. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good idea. Another cheap anchor is to fill a short piece of steel pipe with concrete and put in an I bolt. I use one for drifting, it weighs around 10-15#s

3. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    I have put an eye bolt through a large coffee can and filled it with concrete too. Very economical. :wink:

Ray

4. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    3 lb coffee can filled with concrete and an eye bolt also works.

5. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Heh, we posted at the same time!:smile2:

6. verrykerry

verrykerry New Member

State:
    Texas
    An old redneck favorite is a cinderblock...

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm gonna do what my friend Bambu told me......

I'm gonna make a extra anchors ( prolly concrete and rebar so it bends straight if it has to ). But he uses a zippy-tie between the anchor and chain. Them things are pretty darn strong but if your hung it will finally break.... Its nice to be able to keep your chain and rope ; )

I'm gonna keep two anchors on the boat and 2 extras in the truck.

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use the heavy railraod flats they hold the track on with. I get em for free just asken the railroad guys cause I only want 5 or 6 for trotline weights and boat anchors. If ya got a welder just weld 2 ft of 2 inch pipe to a 16in disk blade fill the pipe with sand cap and weld on a eye bolt.