chatter bait

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by baitchunker, Aug 11, 2008.

1. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i went out fishing in the north end of mobile bay sunday morning. i was fishing in 6-3ft. of water over mixed oyster bars and mud flats. i started out using live shrimp and bull minnows, shrimp under a slip cork, and bull minnows free lined. i wasnt really picking anything up, other than trash fish. after a while i watched i guy in the area boat 2 nice reds. he yelled over and said he was using a gold blade-"redfish magic" in a yellowish color. he said he had cought 2 and missed a few.

usually i keep a couple redfish magic's in the boat. i have cought fish with them b4. for whatever reason (mostly just disorganized junk everywhere) i couldnt find any. what i did find was a "chatter bait". my wife bought one for me, and i had only used it once. i fished it under the lights for speckled trout some months b4, and only cought 1 fish with it, a redfish, even though i could see specks all around it. i figured it was a lure designed to catch fisherman.
    but sunday was a beautiful morning out there, and i had nothing better to do. so i pulled my anchor, tied the "chatter bait on" and went to trolling around. on the 2nd cast that thing got slammed about 10 ft. from the boat. 29" red. about 4 min. later it got slammed again. another red, about 28"s. for the next 45 min. i cought several reds, all over the 26" slot limit. (you are allowed to keep 1 fish over the slot, but i think the smaller fish taste better). the way they would strike that chatter bait was remarkable. its like it just p.o.'d the he!! out of them. the biggest red. i cought on it was 33"s and 13.5 #'s. a darn good fight on a 5 and a half ft. bass rod let me tell ya!
    i did catch 1 fish in the slot-20"-. but, he hit a bull minnow that i forgot to reel in. i had been dragging that bull minnow all over the bay, and got too sidetracked to notice. lol. oh well. i will try to attach a pic of the big red. even though it is from a camera phone i tshould show how big he was.

so if any of yall have a dull moment on the water, give 1 of the "chatter baits" a try, i did and it surprised me.

has anyone else cought any fish on them? or was i just lucky?

j.d.

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i wear a size 13 shoe, if that tells ya anything. lol.

Attached Files:

3. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    nice red there jd, our slot limit is 20" to 28" here in Texas...

4. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    we are still stuck at 16-26".

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    nice red,i would like to catch some one day.

my wife is my chatter bait.............except she won't let me throw her in the lake.so all i have is the darned chatter,with a lot of chitter thrown in.

6. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Nice Fish and a "2-spotter" (which is a whole different discussion). In local club tourneys we always have a category for the most spots...

I keep it simple---baits when not using "Bait shrimp"(dead)- I'll use a norton gold spoon(been around forever) usually 3/8 oz. They're really great in the shallow flats in the marsh. Plastics a very effective bait here is reactions LSU bayou chub( purple glitter and chartr. tail.

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Never done any saltwater fishing, that sounds like a lot of fun.

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    hey mike,

i try to keep track of the spots too. what is the most spots yo0u have seen on 1 redfish? i think for me, a buddy of mine cought a slot red one day that had 7 spots. 5 on 1 side and 2 on the other. we let him go. but, man that was a pretty fish.

9. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thats a nice red. We are getting into them up here in Va. Beach, VA. I am fishing for them out of a kayak and boy the 25-26" really pull you around. They are hitting redfish majic's and spoons. Alot of guys are fishing for them with cut bait at night and tangleing with larger fish up into the 30".

Attached Files:

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i bet that is a blast!

last year i watched a fella in a yak hook into a bull red somewhere around 20#'s. we watched that guy get drug around for about an hour and a half b4 he boated the fish. at 1 point he got the fish in close and when it took off on another run it made the yak look like it had an invisible trolling motor.

11. redfishman

redfishman New Member

State:
    South Louisiana
    Hill- just curious all your reds that silver? Color here varies mainly with the season. In the fall when we have the "running of the bulls" migrating from offshore and deeper areas to the outer marshes to spawn-they tend to be lighter in color-even silver. "Resident "reds in the marsh tend to have alot more color with hues going deep bronze to light reddish yellows. The underbellies for both are usually white. They are a pretty fish.

You mentioned you caught a 30" on a yak-- that's what we would call a "cajun sleigh ride" . A 30" around here would typically weigh in the 12-13 pound range.

LSU fisheries out of LUMCON(Cocodrie) did a study a few years back on the "Spot" issue. Their findings showed spot frequency was random. They studied populations in different areas of the State and offshore and found no biased numbers any where.Personally, I've seen reds that have had no spots to one that looked like a checker board which was mounted.

12. hillbeach

hillbeach New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The red fish here seem to come in two colors also. The next day I got into them again and and they were more redish golden. I can tell you this the redish fish had lots of small crabs in there bellies. Went out fishing tonight (08/13/08) with the wife and could not buy a bite. First time fishing Lynnhaven inlet at high tide. Looks like the reds had to many places to feed could not find them.

Pat

13. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i have noticed different hues and color tones too. that makes sense that it would have to do with what they are eating. that is strange abou tthe spots though...

14. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    On the coast here there are some tournaments that have a 4th pot for the most spots on a redfish!!!!