Chattahoochee River Report 07 March

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by brother hilljack, Mar 7, 2009.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Went fishing this morning and man it was FOGGY; river was way up and muddy with lots of trash floating in it. They must have been letting water out of the lakes because there has not been any rain lately. Went about 5 miles up the river and realized that I was exactly where I started.................Uchee Creek Marina. I am not sure how that happened, but there I was. My wife and daughter were coming to meet me in about an hour, so I decided that it was too foggy to go back up river, so I fished close to the marina. CATFISH WERE BITING GOOD THIS MORNING!!! I got good bites everywhere I stopped. The problem was that (as normal) they were all small and were mostly just stealing my bait. I boated about 8 of these fish. Then I got the bite. The one that sent my rod tip to the water and I knew I had a good one. The pole that the fish hit only had about a quarter sized piece of skipjack, but the line was out about 200 feet from the boat. I grabbed the pole and the fight was on. I could feel the fish shoot for the surface and I figured that I had hooked a striped bass, but it did not jump and I only saw a huge tail break water! Took me about 15 minutes to boat this fish and it turned out to be an 18.6 pound blue cat! This is by far the largest fish I have caught in Georgia so I am very excited.

Ended the day with 14 fish. Great day, Great weather!

water temp was 52.7 degrees

Attached Files:

2. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Great catch Shane hats off!!:smile2:

3. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks Eddie, would not have happened without that fresh bait.

4. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    nice fish Shane thanks for the report

5. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Shane, excellent report brother. Thanks for the pictures and kudos on the big Blue!

6. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hopefully I can get on some more of those Georgia Blues!! I will have another shot this weekend and I am already counting the days