Chatahoochee fishing anybody?

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by infantero, Jul 10, 2006.

1. infantero

infantero New Member

State:
    GA
    i'm in ft. benning and i've been fishin in the hoochee like 10 times now with my boat. i fish with jugs and trotlines and all i get is channels any body has had any luck with them flat heads? any tips on how to find them?

2. Catnewb101

Catnewb101 New Member

State:
    Marietta, Georgia
    ive had quite a bit of success with salmon eggs i believe and some stuff called
    mr. Trout, They are little food pellets that smell bad when they hit the water.
    i dont know where fort bennings in so i cant help you there...lol

3. Catnewb101

Catnewb101 New Member

State:
    Marietta, Georgia
    also try some old meet or rotten cheese, just some old food items around the house that arent edible. When looking for catfish, always think sick and smelly things. catfish dont shy away from that neither do carp

4. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    For the Flatheads try using live bream, live shad, or big live shiners. Float your jugs near the bank right after dark for a couple of hours or one hour before and up to one hour after sunup. We never caught any flats in the hooch but that does not mean they are not there.

5. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Must get deeper the further south you go. Up near lake Lanier the watersw less than a foot deep. Where have you guys been fishing. Hopefully not south of Atlanta. Well I guess you can fish but wouldn't eat anything below ATL.

6. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The Georgia DNR has been shocking flats for a few years now off, and on around this area. The Altamaha has more than it's share of flats, the lower part of the Satilla is over populated also. The flats have really put a hurt on the redbreast fishing in both rivers for some time now. Go to Georgia DNR website, under fishing, and you can see the shocking results from 3 years ago. It will blow your mind. Good fishin'. Jack :smile2:

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    Killing the flatheads off for panfisherman? Thats a terrible deal. If you're fishing exclusively for flatheads you have to use live bait. Look for any kind of structure like downed trees and log jams.

8. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    The Satilla, and the Altamaha rivers are home to some of the best redbreast fishing in the south, or a least was until the introduction of the flathead. Areas of the Satilla where a pair of fishermen once could go get as high as 100 easily in a days fishing, have declined to the point you'll be lucky to get 20-25. I don't believe they are going to be shocking the tidewater areas of the Satilla, but good chance they will try to keep them from spreading too far up stream because there are a ton of folks fish for redbreast down here, and some are hot under the collar about the deal.

A lot of folks fish the Altamaha for flats, they worked on the redbreast population there as well. I talked to a young guy at out local DNR office a couple of days ago. He wasn't sure if, and when they would be shocking in the Altamaha again. From just below the mill at Jesup, to below Paradise Park are tons of flatheads. That's not to say they aren't fish further up river cause there are. That is just the area our DNR says they have found heavy concentrations of fish during their shocking trips. Also, it's been three years since they did that area, so there is no telling what is there now. A large female will lay about 100,000 eggs from what I hear. Best part is, the river don't run thru Atlanta. Good fishin', Jack.