Chat with Cat and Other Conversations

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catgirl, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Afternoon sisters and brothers of the BOC!

This thread will be for the purpose of having regular old conversations about our everyday lives, sharing memories hopes and dreams, or even excerpts from written works you find enjoyable/inspirational. (You know ME, I'm always quoting something :smile2:!)

Hopefully this thread will be a cozy (warm and comfortable) place for all BOC members to feel welcome and at ease, and just be themselves.

Also, anyone who has questions (especially the newbies) about the BOC board, please feel free to post here! I will do my best to provide any answers you may need (and if I don't know, I'm sure someone else will be of assistance).

Here's my contribution for 3/5/08.....

Today would have been my paternal grandmother's 92nd birthday. You may have seen me mention my mom's mom before. Well, my two grandmothers were about as different as night and day, except for the fact that they both were excellent seamstresses. I'm so thankful that they taught me how to sew, it's a skill that is being lost in today's world.

Dad's mom was named Grace, and she had it. Never had much as far as material possessions go, and went through a lot of stuggles in her life - none of that phased her. She was 'bout as country as they come, and I loved her for that.

I didn't get to spend as much time with her as I did Gran T, because my paternal grandparents lived in another town. But occasionally I would pack my l'il red suitcase and be dropped off to spend the weekend. (Mom wanted me to go, but she would wash every piece of clothing I took with me as soon as I got back. Grandaddy smoked cigars. :wink:)

Grandma Grace was a lot of fun. I'd wake up in the mornings to the sound of the twangiest AM radio station you ever heard in your life.......had to be some of the worst bluegrass and gospel in existence. At least I think so from what I recall, but I didn't like either of those musical genres then :big_smile:. She always cooked me breakfast, usually rounds of Irish potatoes fried in a big cast iron skillet, or gravy and biscuits. Obviously she wasn't worried about the fact that I was a plump l'il kid :roll_eyes:, as far as food went anyhow.

I can remember very well her telling me to "hold my stomach in". I listened, and due to the practice of this technique for years upon years, I can make myself look 20 lbs lighter when necessary :smile2:. Anyhow, that radio station would play, and she would cook, drink black coffee, and dance around the kitchen making me laugh.

One mornin' she left me sitting there eating by myself, and went to do something in the back bedroom (it was ALWAYS cool in that room, even though there was no AC in the house). She had a set of Blue Willow dishes that were her everyday wear. Everything was all quiet, and I was munching on my food......don't know why the music was turned off that particular day. When all of a sudden, BANG!!!

I sat really still, I thought I'd been shot or somethin' and was waiting on the pain :big_smile:! She came runnin' back into the kitchen, looked around, and immediately started laughing her head off.

"You're okay Tanya. Look over here on the floor."

She'd left one of the Blue Willow plates on a stove burner that was turned on by accident, and that thing had blown apart into several pieces, which were strewn out everywhere. For years afterward she told that story, about how I was "white as a ghost" and "sitting like a statue". Said she never saw me look more "peak-ed" unless I was very sick.

Grandma Grace died in her early 80s, suffering from the same conditions my Dad has now, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases. She didn't know anything or anybody at the end, and slept most of the time. That was a good thing, because if she was awake she could only cry :sad2:.

I still miss you, my wonderful grandmother. Thank you for helping make me the person I am today.

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Tanya, could you help me? I want to bring something into your thread that started me on the BOC last year. I want this in your thread because that is an appropriate place for it. Don't know how to do it and I would like you to check it out first to see if it is what you had intended. Holler at me via the 2 cans and a string.

John.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    wow tanya that was quite a story. here is my contributions for today
    080305 (March 5, 2008 for you civilian types):wink:

well today started off like any Marine Cros day. i had to show up @ 0630 at CBRN for my annual Gas Chamber. Not to bad, sit through a bunch of training and then get gased with CS (tear gas). Afterwards, came towork and then some issues came up, so i had to deal with those. All in all a typical day.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Geez, you lucky! I gotta wait a couple more hours before I get gassed. LOL

5. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice avatar Joey, I aint so skeered of ya anymore! smokey

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Oh well, I prefer old gravel country roads anyway :wink:. Ya get to see a lot more interesting scenery, and have time to THINK without all the traffic tryin' to run ya over.

It's a bea-U-tiful day here in western NC. The sun is shinin', the birds are singin', and it's going to be a balmy 65 degrees this afternoon. If I thought we'd get by without another frost this spring, I'd start haulin' houseplants outside. There are seven split-leaf philodendron babies (from when I decided to chop off the mama's trunk LAST spring) just itchin' to go get some fresh air. They've been in the "nursery" all winter......the upstairs bathroom where they get plenty of light. Seem to be pretty happy campers, and as soon as they get a bit more settled into their current homes, I plan on selling them.

Hope all you folks have a wonderful day!

7. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Wow, Tanya. It sure has turned into a beautiful day. The kids are outside barefoot; a sure sign of impending Spring.
    I have these spiders that love my house. They build thier webs inbetween the screens and the windows. I went outside earlier thinking I was going to knock down the webs around the house. THAT is when I figured out the webs were between the screens and the windows.
    Guess what's on the top of the honey-do list now? :wink:

I'm ready for the windows to be open and the breeze blowing through the house. It will be a good excuse to get those stuck windows open!

8. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Well it's to cold to go do yard work today and on top of that it started snowing here in Fort Worth around 2:15 this afternoon so my daughter just had to see it and now she is singing about snow, (she's 3 yrs old). It's so cute to listen to her.
    We are supposed to get around 4 inches here today. That is quite alot for this area, now it will be quite an afternoon on the Highways, I know there will be plenty of accidents now. This is how the days go around here. They say if you don't like the weather in Texas, just stick around for 5 minutes, it will change. :smile2::wink:

9. keyskevin

keyskevin New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Well, it must be nice for you Carolina girls in the beautiful weather.Here in Wisconsin it's a balmy 26 degrees and sunny.The weatherman said that we could hit 38 by Saturday.Boy I can't wait for springtime.It would be nice to see the water that's been hiding under the ice.Ofcourse even the sunny weather can't brighten the day for the Packer Fans here in Milwaukee.I thought that they were going to close the banks,schools,and government buildings.Favre has left the building,but the sun also rises.Even as a big Steelers,I'll miss watching Brett running around and just as you think they have him,he flips the ball to Driver for a touchdown.The man was just amazing to watch.We all miss you,but it sounds as if you boys in Mississippi may just run into him at your favorite fishing hole.Good Luck Brett.

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i would have to say that the only real significant thing that has happened to me today (other than waking up on this side of the dirt), was hearing an old song on the radio. i think james taylor sang it? you know :

"ive seen fire and ive seen rain,
    ive seen sunny days that i thought would never end,
    ive seen lonely times when i could not find a friend,

but i allways thought that i'd see you again".

i think i'll call my mamma tonight. its been a month or so, and that song makes me think of her.

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Been a beautiful day here in New Mexico today,had about 5" new snow ,sun shining now ans most of it is a memory ,the moisture will be the start of great things in a few weeks here as our late winter /spring is when we have our worst snows ,but spring will be bright because of the snow.

12. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Well today, mostly this morning was a honeydo type morning. My wife wanted the carpet removed from her massage room and hardwood flooring installed. We started at 7:30 AM, pulled the carpet up and took it out to the truck. Then we got the padding up, then the tack strips around the baseboard and then the staples that held down the padding.

The crowbar did the trick for the tack strips and the screw driver and pliers got the staples up. Well, after sliding around on my butt doing all this, I decide to get up and go out and have a smoke about 9 AM. Bull hocky, my legs would not work the way they are suppose too. I felt like the old lady on TV who shouts "help, I've fallen and I can't get up". Once I finally get up, I'm like a new born animal, I still can't walk too good. Slowly this passes and I am able to waddle outside and light up a smoke.

I come back in and we put down tar paper to serve as a moisture barrier and stapled it to the floor. My son-in-law, the engineer comes over to set the first run, finds out the the room is not square, holy crap, here we go again. He had to leave for his second shift job and will be back in the AM with a plan to correct the situations, engineers are good at that!

We are getting an early start on spending those big bucks that we are suppose to get in May. Already, we are doing our part for the good of the country. God Bless America.

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

That's a great one JD. Here's a link to one of my favorite (wonder why? :wink:) James Taylor tunes.

Maybe it'll help you get out of the cold Kevin, at least in your imagination.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNjLUPqckWY

14. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Mac,

I just thought of you. Tommy got a "home" cut. Despite protests, I can now see his ears.
    I didn't use the bowl...but thought about it with a smile.

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Tanya, even though I have never met you I would also like to thank your Grandmother for helping make you the person you are today. I'd say she done a fine job!

My day was a typical day of CrAaApPpPp :wink::smile2:,other than the snow moving in after noon. When I got off work I went to the river and threw the 8 ft. shad net for about 30 minutes catching some shad and putting them on ice for Saturday's tournament. A couple of people that were in their campers came out and stared at me like I was some kind of nut out there throwing a shad net while it was snowing so hard you couldn't see across the river:smile2:.

16. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was wondering what it would be like to have a conversation with you Tanya. I could tell you my problems and you could tell me your problems. A normal day in any of our lives. You know the joke about Jane coming up to you and telling you all her problems, then she leaves happy because she unloaded them on you and there you stand absorbed in what Jane's problems were, you the one now got to go pass something off to somebody else. And it goes on.

If I were to tell you it was a beautiful day here in the land of corn and hogs, I would be lying Tanya. It is a horse(....) day here. Cold, windy and miserable. Nancy not in a good mood. We got a snow pack that on melt will make the flood in New Orleans look like a walk in a puddle.
    Tommy had another seizure, Liddy our cat has a foreign body and will probably die because I ain't taking her to a vet and get hosed for 500 dollars. My back hurts, the roof and gutters are clogged with ice, we owe the Gov't money on income taxes and Hillary Clinton is still alive.

So Tanya, thanks for this conversation. you gonna be around tomorrow, cause I need somebody to talk to and you are the only one with chew in your pocket.

John.

17. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Well, today cosists of going to my prosthetist to have my leg worked on. I have a new prostheisis and it is computer operated, It has a memory chip in it and it learns the way I walk. I just got it about 3 months ago and it needs a little adjustment, it has to be adjusted by a computer. This is one of the most suffistocated legs I have ever had and it isn't cheap ($184,000).
    This is the 8th leg I have had made. I'm an above knee amputee and it costs a fortune for limbs for me. Luckily, I have medicare and the wife"s insurance pay for this limb. I lost my right leg in a motorcycle accident 17yrs ago but I don't let it stop me from getting around, it's just a little more difficult these days. So I have a regular visit to have adjustments and repairs.
    Since I run a lawncare business I have to get around to keep from getting over weight. I'm not a lazy person so I have to be active.
    I'll post more later. If any of you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
    I'm not shy about it and I don't mind talking about it.

:big_smile:

18. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i think my mamma used to sing JT songs to me when i was a baby to help me sleep. i might be the only person my age who actually likes his music.

stormin norman of the lake! having performed said tasks in said manor, the same way as you are now. i would advise you make someone else do it. that stuff kills my knee's and back, and i am supposed to be young and spry.

john, thats iowa for you buddy. you might not have picked your profession or your wife, but you did choose the land of corn and hogs.

lawnman, i have often wandered what it would be like to have a prostetic limb. other than the obvious inconvenience of losing a leg, and having a mechanical one instead, it dont seem to slow you down much. my question (if itts too personal i apologize and you can ignore me) : when you first got it, were you ashamed of it? or were you proud of it? i dont know how i would react to it. but, i like to think that i would flaunt it as a kind of battle scar, after all what doesnt kill you makes you stronger.

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    afternoon miss tanya id have droped by sooner but my lectric has been off this morning.we had another 11 inches of snow last nite and its a mess.i know you like snow but i hate it.sitting here looking out the window wishing for it to warm up so i could get out aint my cup of tea.well enough complaining ill see you later.

20. keyskevin

keyskevin New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the lift Tanya.That really took me back to when I lived down in the Keys.I don't know how many times I heard that song at the Lorilei in Islamorada.We would have all kinds of bands and artists that ran up and down the East Coast playing the waterfront bars.Boy it just really takes me back.They say that it's going to get up into the 40's next week,so it seems that winter can't last forever.But it's sunny, so it looks warm.Thanks again, hope the weathers great where your at.