Chasing Fish

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by JEFFRODAMIS, Oct 22, 2009.

1. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    When you ahve a biggun on do any of you ever have to "run" down the bank with the pole to keep up or from breaking off, or jsut to steer away from snags? i fish fairly snagless water but ive had to horse them out of other lines and keep from breakin off from my drag being too tight

2. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Never had a big enough catfish on (yet) to have to go to those measures, but I have horsed many a carp out of weed beds and snags. One time I remember pulling so hard that the fish (probably only about 11 pounds) came out of the water and turned in the air. If I didn't experience it myself I wouldn't believe it. I have also run down the bank to gain line while catching carp to 17 pounds on Scooby Doo equipment. Brings the fun back into fishing. :wink:

Ray

3. Hahaha!! No way dude!:tounge_out:

Get the right gear and winch'm in.:wink:

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i put out a lot of poles and they bite on the weakest setup you got

5. I know dude, that happened to me last night, haha. I'm gonna start leaving the little pole home just to get fish on the bigger one! I caught a 23 pounder on my light rod and a 4lbr on my big rod!:confused2::smile2:

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my heavy rod is 10 ft water eagle and tidewater with 100 lb mono...then it steps down to ugly stik catfish whatever and 65 pp on skp2000c then got a abu 6500 with 50 lb spiderwire on it..and ill always hang one on my 808s with 20-30 lb mono or my bait rods

7. Skunk_Ape

Skunk_Ape New Member

State:
    tenn.
    Yeah I had to chase a big striper down the river once, got wet once, finally caught him about 200' downstream

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I will sometime walk the bigger blues down the bank and try to steer them to a nice landing area between the rocks and logs.

9. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    The only time I really walk em is maybe to get a better place to land them. But im ususally there before they get that close. I can only remember one time doing that, I was Bass fishing by a under water slab. Threw my lizard out by it and somethun hit it and I could never get it up and I had to walk down bank with it for about 30 yards. I didnt know the bank was undercut and he swam under the bank. I believe it was a big cat.

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    I do it from time to time mostly with only really big cats that i cant gain ground on, i use all abu's with a 5600 being the smallest the rest are 65/6600's. so my gear is big enough for any fish i would catch, sometimes you just gotta do what it takes....

11. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

That's SO true. ME and my buddy have great setups, but his $30 Hawgseeker Spinning combo from Wal-Mart gets SLAMMED all night. That rod will outfish all rods 3 to 1. It's insane ...

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Oh yeah I have chased fish in the past,when a big flathead has been down and dirty flat peeling line out and ya look down and realise that 300+yards of line is out and you have three or four feet left on the spool,you'll run or do anything it takes to gain some line,that fish had me down to the spool loop knot twice,20 lb test,and would hit the end and turn and run straight back at me to where he was hooked 15 foot in front of me,took 2 1/2 hours and was broke off on a last ditch effort right at my feet,all I can say is big. Do what ya gotta do to keep up with them,but it is pretty rare to have to chase a freshwater fish.

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Never had to chase one,that,s why I like heavy braid(80-100).That way if other people are too ignorant to move their lines,I can just reel in their lines along with my fish.I keep at least 300 yds of 80 or better on all my reels,I keep the drag at about 20lbs,if they can spool me,God bless em.:wink:

14. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    once chased a smallmouth down only to have it break my line. Fish saw the opening and went with the current like nobodys business never had a fish do me like that was using a beat up old setup with old 4lb test. After that incident I now respool my lines multiple times a year on all my rigs

15. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Tough way to learn a lesson, but it sounds like you will remember that one for the rest of your life.

Ray

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I've been lucky enough to turn all my fish and land them. If need be, I will wear them out in more open water before I haul them to the bank and grab them.

17. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    thanks for all your responses fellas:big_smile:

18. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    More than glad to help Jeffro. :wink:

Ray

19. mte

mte New Member

State:
    Millersville, P
    Isn't that the way it supposed to be?:wink::smile2::confused2:

20. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    well guys i personally havent been lucky enough to have to chase one down the bank. atleast not yet, i didnt become a serious catfisherman till last season. my best fish is in my avatar at 14 lbs. so i cant say i know exactly what its like but i can tell you i have caught plenty in the 5-10 lb range. and it may not be chasing them down the bank but i have had my line snap at the bank and chase them a couple feet into the water. oh yes plenty of wet days and once slapped in the neck by a really mad channel lol for some reason kinda shook me a little. been slapped by a woman never a fish till then all i could do was laugh.....it hit harder than she did:big_smile::big_smile: