Chasing Channel Catfish and Catching everything else!

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by comanchero, Apr 26, 2006.

1. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Strange but beautiful night to fish the St Croix. River was perfect tonight - Clear skies, Cool temp 45, Calm waters flat as glass. River elevation still falling at 679.6' tonight and water temp holding at 56 degrees.
    I set up in one of my favorite backwater channel cat spots and baited up with some cut sucker and got immediately hit. Up pops a nice fat 16" walleye - back she goes. Few minutes later a small 19" channel cat jumps on the cut bait - back she goes. About 20 minutes later another strong bite and here comes another walleye, 16" clone of the first one. You walleye guys might want to chunk up some suckers for bait on Saturday, the walleyes sure liked it tonight. About 30 minutes later a real strong hit and the fight is on. I figured I had a really big channel or a hog of a flathead, until this sturgeon comes flying out of the water along side the boat. It was a nice fish, maybe 40". It was strange to catch it where I did - only about 8' of water. It was the last thing I expected at that spot. I took a few pics and will post one. Back she went and I figured time to move. Spent the rest of the night drowning a couple of bullheads for flatheads with no luck. It was a fun night and the Twins won. That is the way to listen to a ball game.

Attached Files:

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    That's cool man, I want to catch a sturgeon so I can mark that off of my list, how much it weigh?

Aaron

TA2D

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Sounds like a fun evening. Never heard of walleye hitting cut bait, but I have caught a couple and seen many others caught on chicken livers. Nice sturgeon, it would be fun to catch one of those, next time I'm up north that way I wanna set into one.

4. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Whats the area like that your fishing. is the water clear or stained. what does the area have init any down trees, or logsm or rocks, small or large. is the area your fishing have runing water. does it trun to your left or to your right. any idea of how deep the water is. any brush piles in the area.

Some or all of this would help to give you a better answer.

But going based of what you have posted. try some cut shad keeping off bottom a foot or more.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    nice catch bro.Boy ive had those days caught everything but what i was after,but at least we caught something right?

6. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Perhaps the fish also listened to the game and decided to switch hit. You should have seen the change up and pulled your walleye rigs from your bullpen. The resulting strikes would have been a homerun till they called a foul.

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Walleye on cut bait is something i've not heard of... hmm maybe a new trend?

Sturgeons though aren't all that uncommon on cutbait... thats what they use out west (esp in BC canada) for them and well if i fish has enough water that they can breath in then they will go anywhere from 1/2 inch deep to 50-100-200+ feet deep (depending on the size of the fish) so 8' deep isn't that bad at all for sturgeons...

8. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    nice catch man.sounds like a fun night.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice channel cat!

10. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    Sturgeons bring back memories. When I lived out west we used to catch them over 100 pounds. Great fighters and tastey on the dinner table. We don't have them in NC, but thanks for bringing back the memories.........

11. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Way to go" - Sounds like you had a nice time out there. :0a23:

I never got a Sturgeon before :still_dreaming: - I heard that they will put up a good fight!

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2:
    (Shaina)

12. BigOleW9

BigOleW9 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When using nightcrawlers for cats, I catch alot of bass. It's really annoying because I hate bass with a passion.

13. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    cut bait for walleye huh sounds like something new. nice sturgeon how much did it weigh?

14. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Sounds like fun! I have relatives in Minnesota and have done a little fishing out there but never for catfish. I know that there are a lot of nice rivers there that must have some nice hogs in there. I'm sure it will get better when that water temperature rises a bit. Listening to the Twins game and fishing the river at the same time...sounds like a fine evening!