Chasing blue catfish tomorrow

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catfish Shawn, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    So I have a wild hair up you know where to catch some blues. I seen on Team Catfish that they are catching them in 30 - 40 deg water. I dont go after the blues so I am a noob to this. Would tomorrow be a good day to throw out some shad sides from the bank?

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Isn't going to hurt to at least try. It might just be the right time, but you won't know till you get your line in te water.

3. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    Carbondale East Lake. I have only seen 1 blue cat come out of it and it was 8lbs. I have been told by the old timers that there is 30lb - 40lb blues in there. Plus it is only 3 mins from my house.:smile2:

4. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    Amen to that brother. Got the beer and the poles ready to go.

5. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    That's the big SECRET Shawn, put some bait in the water, then at least you've got a 50 percent chance of catching. Otherwise, it's a 100% sure you won't:wink::smile2:. Throw your bait out there and hope for the best! Good luck tomorrow, we'll be out there too. We only caught one today, but that's cause we had a bait in the water:wink::smile2::smile2:

6. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    To me, any day you can fish for catfish is a good day to fish! Just go and have fun!:eek:oooh:Good luck and good fishin'

7. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    well I hope I have alot of luck.:wink: Looks like we will be throwing out shad sides and shad dough ball bait. Will post pics if we get anything.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Shawn, we had shad guts, cut shad, goldeye and shrimp on today, the only thing we had bites on was the cut shad, and caught the one and only on the same. Actually, the cut shad's been better'n the guts lately:confused2:, usually the guts are better.:roll_eyes:

Oh yeah, and this time of year and with this weather, just be glad your fishing, but, I guess it's okay to wish for "a lot of luck":smile2:

9. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I am going to bring the throw net and see if I can net up some shad. But I am going to take a jar of shad sides just incase my net has a really big hole in it.:smile2:

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Shawn , I would go to the bait shop if I was you, get some large shiners or something live, and use that for cut bait. Getting the shad in the throw net from the bank right now will be difficult. Shelby and I caught both of our first and only cats this year on cut large shiners. Fresh cut bait is the stuff this time of year. :wink:

11. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I think he has some large minnows. I will see what he has in the morning because he could have more. Why would the shad sides not work? Are the shad sides more for warmer weather?

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Not to get in a dispute with Keith, but I stick with what I said, we've been having very good luck with the cut shad. Two types. Small (3-4") frozen shad, and filleted frozen shad. The little ones, I cut the head and tail off, put the tail on, the body then the head. That's what I caught the 14lb'r on. Fresh could be much better, but there's still a lot of dead stuff laying on the bottom?

13. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    On the last day of duck season I was putting out my decoys and I saw about 50 dead shad floating to the bank. I never thought of it at the time but I should of put them in a bucket and made my own sides.

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Shawn , I was just giving you a back up plan in case you cant net any shad. Jim is right , this time of year fresh cut shad is the best, but Id much rather use Fresh cut shiners instead of jarred shad sides. Jarred shad sides are ok for the river this time of year, but in the lakes, I dont do well with them. If you can get some shad with the net , that would be your best bet though. :cool2:

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Thats exactly how we caught ours Jim, only shiners instead of shad, but I would have rather had shad. I just dont like using the sides in the jar from the baitshops unless I absolutely have to. There is just something about them. Ill use some whole frozen shad that I have in my freezer that is 6-12 months old and Ill catch more fish than I will with a jar of sides from Minnesota bait or Cabelas. I dont know why. :confused2:

16. Catfish Shawn

Catfish Shawn New Member

State:
    Carbondale, Kansas
    I never really have much luck with the jars but that seems to be all I can get right now. I will make an effort to get fresh shad but I dont always get them. I might be able to get some bullheads or some perch and green sunfish.

17. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Shawn dont over look shrimp.

I'm not saying they are better than shad but I catch a lot of catfish every years using shrimp.

They come in a easy reseal package.I buy un-cooked with the shells on and I think they come like 60-80 count per bag for about $7.

Ii also like to soak them with dead-red to kick them up a notch.Try them sometime you might be surprised.I have many days where they will out fish shad.

18. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Tom, what is dead red? Blood? Sorry dont know but wanna try, thanks, Brent

19. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Team catfish one of our BOC sponsors sells it Brent.

It a catfish attractant with fish oils and blood and anise oil.
    Its proved itself with me.

Comes in a spray bottle but when I use it like on shrimp i will pour some right in the bag.

I also use it on cut shad and even spray it on punch bait.